Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lofted cone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrizofer

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2015
US
being new to SolidWorks I think my problem is very minor but I thought I'd post it here. Have tried both a revolve and a loft with no success in creating a cone and then the flat pattern for it.

I create an arc on a plane. Then I create a plane the distance away from the first plane the length of my cone. THen I create an arc on the new plane. THen I create a 3D sketch and draw the lines between the two sketches. Now it previews a cone but when I click on the Thin Feature the preview disappears.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I looked on here and thought I did what folks said but I don't get the results.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alternative procedure:
1. create both arcs on separate planes as you did before. No need for a 3D sketch joining the endpoints of the arcs
2. loft a surface between both arc profiles using the "surface loft" command
3. thicken the surface using "thicken" command on Features toolbar
4. Click "insert bends" on sheet metal tab and select an edge as your fixed entity (one of the lines that blends from both arcs)

This would create the geometry and allow you to flatten it.

Thanks for your replies. I find now though that in order to get the mates I need, I need to generate a revolved section to set the angle at precisely 28.09 degrees. The lofted sheet is much more difficult to get this angle. So I have the full cone and I perform an extruded cut through both sides to get it in half. Now how do I proceed to get the flat pattern of the half version?

THanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back