Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loli-pop mills and chamfering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek30

Industrial
Jul 8, 2009
PL
Hi,

Maybe someone could help me with it. I'm trying to chamfer holes from the inside using a loli-pop mill. I can create the loli-pop mill by modification of barrel type mill, but I can't figure it out how to force the system to generate a toolpath on inside profile of the hole.

I have attached model made in NX 7.5.3

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First create a User defined tool that has tracking points at the top and bottom of where you want the tool to follow the boundary. Then create 2 planar profile operations, this is the only operation that can use a "User Defined tool"
One operation for the top and one for the bottom. Use the lower tracking point to cut the top chamfer and the top tracking point to cut the lower chamfer. I am using NX6
see the attached part file.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c042b5ea-558b-41fd-8193-db0cc0791a9a&file=mill_chamfer_llpop.prt
Hello John,

Thank you for your help, but I have a hole going through empty cylinder. Cross curve is a 3D curve. Planar profile will not work for this. Jaydenn's solution is very close to this what I'm looking for, but thank you anyway.

Jay,

Thanks for help. This is something what I'm looking for. But I was thinking about loli-pop driven by a 3D curve that is creating when crossing hole through the empty cylinder - see picture attached. One toolpath, simple and flexible. I can control size of the chamfer oby the tool lenght directly on the machine using tool data table. Is this even possible in NX? To do that, loli-pop tool should have some kind of tracking point to be defined on the spherical surface or maybe I'm wrong...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=98da574e-b262-4771-8b76-59d981d71e60&file=Chamfer.png
John,

Thank you for this example. This is something I can use on the other part. But to be honest, it should not be a problem for Siemens/UGS guys to add this kind of functionality for loli-pop mills. But it would help many programmers.

Thank one more time, John.

Jarek
When I started using NX I asked asked someone at GTAC about this and they recommended surface area. It's actually a pretty versatile toolpath, not just for kelloring. You can generate a single pass if you want. Take a look at this and if it's what your looking for I can upload a sample. Also if you do a lot of this you should check out Harvey's catalog. The have a lot of these tools on the shelf.

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

Ray,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I would be very appreciated If you could upload a sample. Thanks in advance. A single pass is something I look for.

On the example I sent you it uses surface area as the drive method and yes, Collision avoidance is avalilable, Non-cutting moves - More tab

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

John,

Yes, I know. But I was trying to get single pass, no succeed. At least two passes are genereted. Do you know how to acheive a single pass?

By the way, collision avoidance is avaiable, this is correct, but it doesn't work. I have check this on my sample. Look at the attached picture.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d0cbb626-8764-400d-a366-0fe02978bdb7&file=No_collision_avoidance.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back