Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Long Term Deflection Criteria - Wood Frame Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

amecENG

Structural
Jun 1, 2010
CA
I am working on a project with a concrete transfer slab that is supporting the load bearing walls of a conventional wood framed five storey building. It is a residential building with gypsum walls, hardwood floors, ceramic tiles, etc.

I am trying to get some advice on the deflection criteria to be used to design the concrete slab.

In my opinion the concrete slab deflection criteria for long term total deflection should fall under L/480.
(i.e. Roof or floor construction supporting or attached to non-structural elements likely to be damaged by large deflections.)

However, I believe that some engineers use L/240 for this type of construction.

I'd just like to get some prospective on this. Is L/480 too stringent?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it post tensioned? I don't think you will have a problem with L/480 if it is. All my podium slabs are PT and deflection almost never controls.

I believe that the Australian code has provisions for this. L/500 if you've considered the deflection in the framing above and L/1000 if you haven't. I don't know of anyone in North America being so stringent with these types of structures however.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

It has been my experience that the long-term creep characteristics of dimensional and engineered lumber are underestimated. i.e. the stuff sags more than it should
I would not skimp at all - especially with a heavy, sustained load. L/600 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back