Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a complete Anchor Design software which provides step by step calculations. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RahulAtkins

Structural
Oct 13, 2017
US
I am looking for a good software which can deal with all the general Anchor Design cases and provides a detailed output of each and every calculation. I have used software from HILTIPro and Simpsons, but I am not that satisfied with the outputs that they provide. It seems some of the things are being wrongly calculated. So, I want to check if each and every step is being adopted correctly according to code guidelines.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For concrete anchors (as per Appendix D of ACI 318), I've always thought Alex Tomanovich's spreadsheet is the best.

He's retired now, but he is probably still making them. (The one I have is a older one.)

I took the design examples in ACI 355.3R-11 (which are based on ACI 318, Appendix D) for the cases that I use and made Mathcad worksheets for them.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

fel3,

I never knew those examples were there on my shelf all this time! Star for you! I feel like a little kid in a candy store...thanks

EIT

I have spoke w/ Hilti regarding the verification of their anchor calcs with hand calcs. It cannot be done. The capacities used in Profis are based on values obtained from testing, not the theoretical values and equations in Appendix D. I recommend TEDDS for viewing step by step calculations. They are all shown very clearly step by step (it also has modules for the design of several structural items).

Just to clarify, all post installed anchor design values have to be qualified based off of ACI 355. Like MotorCity indicated, all of these values (Hilti, Simpson, Powers, etc) are obtained from tested results. The equations of ACI 318 cannot be directly applied to post installed anchors. I cannot comment on the cast-in-place options of these programs, I would assume they should match up with ACI 318 due to the fact that these design values should all be code driven and not proprietary.

WARose:

"For concrete anchors (as per Appendix D of ACI 318), I've always thought Alex Tomanovich's spreadsheet is the best."

Can you post a copy of this... I cannot find it on the net...

thanks, Dik

[blue](dik)[/blue]
Can you post a copy of this... I cannot find it on the net...

I'm not sure I can. When I bought Alex's sheet.....I'm almost positive I (electronically) signed some sort of copyright agreement. (He's also a friend of a friend and sort of a legend in the engineering community I work in so I don't want to start an issue there either.)

I found this:

This appears to be a free spreadsheet based on ACI 318-08 (you have to scroll down a bit). I've used it before myself and it compares well with Alex's. Looking more on that site, it appears to have a sheet based on ACI 318-14 as well....but I cannot tell if that one is free.

And by the way: the Alex sheet I have (for anchors) is based on ACI 318-08.....so you are getting pretty much what I have from that link.

Sorry... didn't realise it was for purchase... I've downloaded nearly all of Alex's spreadsheets without any costs or charges... and none implied.

Dik

WARose:
TehMightyEngineer:

I tried Simpsons, it gives somewhat more detailed calculations than Hilti's Profis. I also tried another software called Quick Anchor by S K Ghosh, it seems to do a good job in the output. I got to explore more.

Just picked up a copy of ACI 355.3R-11 at the bookstore... I wish I was aware of this a year ago... extremely helpful publication.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back