Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for best piping analysis and CAD interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermaker1018

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2011
US
My company currently runs Caesar II for piping analysis and Microstation & PlantSpace for 3D modeling of our plant. Currently, the two do not talk at all, we have to redraw the piping and enter all of the piping attributes in Caesar before starting analysis.

My question is this, what programs do you use and what do you think is the most efficient flow of routing pipe, analyzing pipe and designing pipe supports within these programs?

To take this a step further we use both Robot and Stadd for structural design. Are there any good structural programs that easily interface with the piping and CAD programs?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bentley's AutoPLANT works pretty ok with Bentley's AutoPIPE. Their language (I think it's pxf) is pretty good.

Currently we're using Autodesk Plant3D (as AutoPLANT didnt keep up with innovation - too much trouble - poor service) w/ AutoPIPE, and it works pretty good.

Getting the routing good into AutoPIPE is all about having a decent pipe spec in Plant3D, with 'zero drops' along the run pipe you want to analyze.
AutoPIPE has benefits over CII in that it's GUI is way easier, especially when it comes to (little or even major) adjustment to pipe routing within AutoPIPE.

On the other hand, Plant3D still has some major drawbacks in pipe routing design. We still have to manually hand adjust each iso. Given that we typically locate problems first within the P3D engine, and find solutions for Autodesk, I think thats a major drawback. P3D still has a long wau to go.

C2it, Have you tried Cadworx? I've heard the same thing, but have yet to see it with my own eyes. I've only seen sales videos, but it's difficult to trust a salesman.

We use both CADworx and CII. Seamless isn't a word I would use. We have alot of problems with node numbering and some other stuff. some of the problems are no doubt down to operator error/training but its not like the salesman says. We are looking at a smart P & ID software form intergraph at the moment. Same thing. the presentations are great, the bean counters think it will save us money but the reality of it......we'll see.

We use Bentley Prostructures for out steel work and Xref in the models form cadworx for reviews etc. Cadworx can do structural stuff but we don't find it of much use for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back