Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for math Refresher 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastestSnail

Student
Nov 19, 2022
US
Hello all. I am about to enroll in classes to start an mechanical engineering degree. Currently I have most of an economics and accounting degree. I am not anticipating many credits to transfer so I'll basically be starting from scratch again. I am aware a majority of the engineering career field requires extensive math and physics which I am excited about. The problem is I haven't even thought about any kind of math beyond basic geometry in a very long time. I took a calculus class my junior year of high school back in 2007 so I am searching for advise on a math refresher course to get back up to speed before classes start in January. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sign up for the free Khan Academy It has short videos on the topics and short quizzes. To move to the next installment one needs a 100% score on the short quiz. If you understand the material 100% is an easy score and since the installment is short the window at figuring out any problems is narrowed. It might be a good idea to start a bit earlier in the sequence than you think is required - I went through some and found that while I generally knew what was going on the skills of making evaluations for the quizzes was rusty. Getting an answer wrong because of hasty mental addition is annoying.

I'd also look to YouTube for 3Blue1Brown -
The guy who runs it loves math and provides good graphical demonstrations of what mathematics represents.

Also on YouTube, BlackpenRedPen is a college calculus instructor who is very good at teaching - working through individual problems. A bit less fun but with explanations and applications of solution techniques.

I watch for the YouTube channels for entertainment - they are that approachable.

Khan Academy is excellent and donations are welcome...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

FastestSnail,

If math courses are offered as part of the mechanical engineering course, take them.

I stopped out for a few years and when I returned to college, I was told I had the math courses. I skipped the advanced calculus, but I decided to take differential equations again. I never worked so hard to get a[ ]D.

--
JHG

one piece of advice I can give is don’t spend too much effort on developing your skill in the symbolic evaluation of integrals, or even differentials.

Its not a useful skill for engineers. Everyone will use a computational solver anyway.

I think symbolic work is useful.

In school, there are a lot of common equations that are derived using ODEs. An example is an SDOF spring-mass-damper system with sinusoidal load. Not being able to follow the derivation would be problematic on exams.

In practice, it would be nice if the engineer has a handle on the background derivation and not just be able to use the final equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back