Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for monitor recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

toycept

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2004
US
I've been using a CRT monitor for a number of years and am looking to change to a flat screen to use with SW. I'm asking if people can make some recommendations that you are happy with. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jeff, I've been using a Viewsonic which has to be more than 10 years old now.
With the combination of my eyesight waining and the quality of the monitor, I've got
to make a change. Since I posted this top last evening I've been reading good things
about the Dell Ultrasharp 2412.

I know I posted this info some where either here or at Solidworks Forum, however I am unable to find it.

I did some research for myself a couple of years ago and below is what I found to be the best way to consider buying a new monitor(s).

*LCD monitors types:
TN (Twisted nematic) - Usually these are the cheap monitors which turn out to be not such a good choice.
VA (Vertical alignment) - Medium priced, good but with deep blacks
IPS (In-plane switching) - Usually more expensive, but at a responsible price,quality a lot better than the two above
PLS (Plane-line switching) - New type of technology, has higher brightness with lower power consumption.

*Always go with LED backlighting.

*Response time is unimportant because anything lower than 12ms our eyes cannot track it.

*Recommended resolution recommended 1920 x 1080

Here is the link I got most of this information from:

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Be sure to get a 16:9 minimum aspect ratio, preferably 16:10. Those extra pixels in the y direction are nice with CAD software.

The Dell UltraSharp's are nice. IPS displays at 16:10 aspect ratios. All our engineers have dual 24", 16:10, Dell UltraSharps.

Anna Wood
SW2014 SP2, Windows 7 x64

I've used dual monitors, both 4:3 and 16:9, and even one of each, and I was always annoyed by the 'bar' between the monitors, which seemed to be always exactly where I didn't want it. I haven't tried it, but I think a single 27" or larger (with many pixels of course) would be better than two smaller monitors.

For the last part of my tenure with SW, back in 2010, I had IT remove all the corporate crapware from my SW computer and put it on an older surplus machine, so I had two computers and three monitors on my desk.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

thanks all for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch. I think
a 27 inch would be a bit big on my desktop. Too bad I couldn't try a 27 inch.. kind of take it for
a test ride. At any rate, at this point, anything a bit more "modern" than what I have would be
good. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back