Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Perforated Foam Core 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry1492

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2005
US
Does anyone know of a company that sells foam core that already has holes? I talked to General Plastics, but they don't do it anymore.

I'm looking for PVC or Polyurethane in ~4lb density.

Also, do you know who has affordable scored foam?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the tip, but honeycomb is no good. I'm infusing a sandwich structure via VARTM. I've never done this with honeycomb, but the weight and cost of all the resin that would fill the honeycomb cells would be terrible for this application.

We're using an impermeable foam core and putting holes in it in order to get resin to the tool side. I did find one company that does it (Dyabgroup) but they have an 11 week lead time. Let me kno wif anyone else knows of one.

Thanks - Barry

Barry1492 (Mechanical)
Have you thought about putting your own holes in.
It is quite easy to take a large block studded with nails and push the nails through the foam at regular intervals.
I know this is a PTA but it can get you off the hook until your supplier can come across.
B.E.

Thanks. My first prototype was done with a ruler, a sharpie, a hand held drill, and a very sore arm ; )

One of the suppliers had reccomended the studed board. That may have to be the next step.

Thanks.

Have you looked at Dyvincyl (sp?) I have used in autoclave applications and gotten good air path through it.

Not sure who the manufacturer was.

Good Luck

Composites and Airplanes - what was I thinking?

There are gremlins in the autoclave!

Honeycomb can be used with VARTM. It was used on the Comanche helicopter. But a simpler solution would be to infuse from the edge and fill top and bottom sides of the part at the same time unless you are tying the used the resin to control sheer. If so you should look at K-cor® from Aztex.

We used to have a curved piece about 48" radius and 12" long made with staves and nails pounded from the back with a handle. All you need to do was rock it on the sheet. It is a little irregular but was great for all the VARTM we did in the 80's.

If you want consistency you probably need to make an iron maiden and hit it all at once! Get a tetnaus shot LOL.

Barry

Holes in foam are not required. I do VARTM with Rohacell (Close Cell Foam WF) using large structures all the time with success. If interested drop a line

I don't know if Barry ever found something suitable, but i would suggest you consider Tycor from a company called Webcore. They specialize in VARTM-able core/web construction. This might be easier than trying to invent something else. Also I think Vermont Composites was showing something VARTM over core at the 2005 SAMPE show in Long Beach (CA)

Wow....you guys are still responding. Thanks. No, we needed holes to get access to the tool side of th epart since we were infusing from the middle and not the ends.

I found a company in NJ called mahogany that sold some decent stuff. The funny thing is the project is now dead (which I knew it would be) and I got a new job since then. Frankly, I've NEVER liked composites and am glad to be out of the field (no offense guys). It's too itchy, smelly, and such a pain in the ass to work with from both a design perspective and a hands on perspective.

Best of luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back