Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Sticky Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optics14

Electrical
Jun 2, 2014
US
Hello,

Here is something i need help in finding.

Its a Sticky Gel that is flexible and elastic slightly firm that is used to hold things in place.

Specifically iam looking for the stuff that Gel-Pak uses in there Sticky boxes:

I know there Gel is proprietary. But there is several companies and several product all over the world that use this kind of Gel. Like Sticky Pads or you know those kits toys slap and stick which is too soft for what i need but its similar.

It might not be the exact same but close enough is ok with me.

I have some Boxes/cases that i need to add this for my optics so they dont move around.

From what i can tell its a polymer. But maybe silicone Gel might work to.?

Ive hit a wall as there is limited info on what ive been at least searching for.

If a video is needed to get a closer look at this stuff i can make a video as i have a couple cases here from Gel-Pak.

My plain it to fill up these:

SO when i put all the separate little optics in they wont move around and get damaged.

I have alot of little optics so to buy 100+ Gel-Pak cases is not what i want to do.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe Glue Dots adhesives comes in container like scotch tape dots are on a roll and dots are .375" round flexible, removable just google "glue dots"

These are typically blends of S(EB)S block copolymer rubbers and oil. The surface tack is increased by adding a high Tg tackifier. I would expect a "glue-dot" like composition, which would contain perhaps 20-30% tackifier, would have too much adhesion for your application. You'd likely need something with either 0 to 10% tackifier. I do not know of any suppliers of a very low tack oil gel like this that would sell in small quantities.

Tom Quinn
Adherent Laboratories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back