looking for suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.c_rash

Student
Jul 9, 2022
NL
Hey!

Not sure wether this thread should be posted in the forum engineers with hobbies or not, since I'm a engineering student with a hobby I post it here. I could also post it in the software forum...

My hobby is coding with Python and I love working with Rhino 3D. Fortunately one can combine these two and write commands/plugins in Python for Rhino. Unfortunately I have to many and at the same time none ideas for plugins I could program.

Do you guys have any ideas for stuff I could program? I am open to any suggestions and would see it as an excercise. I hope you can help me!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of engineering do you do?

Every engineer loves extract data. If you can write commands to extract data into meaningful and easy to read/organized data that is something I'd look into. I think you can also envision a repetitive task and write a robust code for it. You can also think of a plugin to transfer data between any CAD and Rhino.

I don't know your exact field so my suggestions are generic but that will be a good starting point.

I study naval architecture in the Netherlands but I'm not only interested in ships. Basically I'm open to any kind of engineering.

Data extraction.. What are you thinking at? Like surface area/ volume/ weight... of a model in a readable text file? For the marine engineer I could think at a simple hydrostatics program where you enter a 3D model of the ship and some data of the weight/centre of gravity or draught/ waterline to get some hydrostatic data of the model, eventually combined with stability calculations. The data could be extracted and then visualized.

That's interesting.

Let me give you an example using structural engineering. Some people might write a script to extract loads from their bracing members or beams to design their connection.

I can't really provide specific project ideas for marine engineering but let's try this.
-What is something you wished one software could do but doesn't do? Is it possible for you to write python scrip for that?
-Is there a hydraulic modelling repetitive task you do? Can that be something as well?
-Do you wish you could easily plot graphs or represent your results/data in a certain manner for your reports?
-Do you want to write yourself an app (basically a calculator) to help you spend less time on assignments?

I study naval architecture in the Netherlands but I'm not only interested in ships. Basically I'm open to any kind of engineering.

So, why not change major to computer science? Typically, if you're not interested in a subject, you'll not do well in the classes, and your GPA potentially hinders your first job.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back