Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Loose cannon colleague 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Nov 24, 1999
US
Good Afternoon,

I have a problem at work, and yes it is personal, and thought I would share it with the rest of you. Maybe you could shed some light on this situation and maybe some better handling techniques-->other than the ones I am using currently.

I work with an slightly older engineer. We work on many projects together, I am the mechanical and he is the electrical engineer. He tends to yell and raise his voice and swear when he is under stress and some of the time he is directing all of this anger at me.

I, on the other hand take pride that I can and will maintain a level of professionalism...even when under severe stess, ie working long hours, trying to ship product and so forth. I actually choose to be happy, I know this sounds funny to all of you, but I always try to look at things in a positive light. I crack jokes often and it helps me reduce the stress that I feel at times.

Anyway, if this guy yells at me in front of other co-workers again, I feel like I want to knock his block off...as my great uncle would say...

I don't feel I deserve this treatment at all. And I would like to put a stop to it but I am not sure the best way to go about it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We tolerate bad behavior from people that have value (i.e. beautiful, powerful, useful, etc.)

If it's any consolation, know that they loose their power when leaving the four walls of the office and go back to their pathetic little lives with no friends, no wife or girlfriend. That lack of appreciation makes them want to compensate at work with an uber-ego.

I know what I'm talking about. During my last 2 internships, I had assholes as supervisors, and this one isn't any different!

Take care

We have a very strong character in work, who is not exactly abusive but who is just vocal all day; it's like having a radio switched on in the background and it really annoys most of the office. He has a "transmit" button permanently engaged but the "receive" is never available. Most of the guys adopt the same attitude, in that we understand that there are different characters in this world, and within the work environment you just have to deal with it in the same you would out of work.

I have had a few run-ins with this guy and the thing that I do is to politely and quietly tell him some home truths - that we are all shacked up in the same office for eight hours everyday and we have a job to do; we have to work together; but our job is not made any easier by him being a dipstick.

Works every time.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back