Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost custom menus in Excel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBarsh

Structural
Jun 20, 2002
CA
Any idea on where (or if) Excel 2002 stores custom menus (not toolbars)?

From another thread y'all can see that loading a commercial spreadsheet blew out a number of my custom menus. Now I have no idea where they are or how to get them back.

I miss the "old" Excel method where they were saved with a specific file.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Tom,
I'm sorry that a website I suggested caused you this problem. I called SEAOC and spoke with Tracy Brown. She suggest that you return to the website and select the software that you downloaded. There is an email link to the author. Perhaps you can get some help from them.

Good Luck.....

hi Clyde, Thanks for the info and I'm sorry if I caused you any distress. I certainly placed no blame on you! It was my fault entirely.

I was able to restore myself this morning because I had an archived "xlb" file (the Excel menu/toolbar file). I have run into this problem in the past when changing computers, updating Windows, etc. It really points out a vulnerable spot in Excel, that this customization is so easily lost. In older versions of Excel you could create custom menus from within a spreadsheet file. This is not so easily done with new versions of Excel. I would like to learn how to create menus programmatically, it would be ever so much more safe and reliable.

However, I have learnt my lesson this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back