Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low Friction Plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew851

Materials
Dec 10, 2002
US
I am looking for a plastic with a friction co-efficient of less than .15 yet has a Rockwell Hardness greater than 80. Acetal has not had sufficient lubricity and we have tried Acetal with 2%silicon which is better, but we are looking for even greater lubricity. It needs to be a class 2 material that does not emit or "leak".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you running it against. This can have as much of an effect as initial material choice.
One very happy combo is Acetal against Nylon, especially if the Acetal has Silicone in it and the Nylon has Molly and Graphite. I am not sure about the Class 2 Leakage.
Moulding conditions and additive packages , especially regards orientation and crystalinity can have signifficant effects on friction and wear. Regards
pat

Difficult problem
Maybe something like bronze filled PTFE might be hard enough.
Maybe molly and graphite filled nylon 6.6 might be slippery enough. Regards
pat

high density polyethlyene is also pretty slick . Contact WL Gore . You can have your eqpt teflon coated as well . we use either a liner or a coating deoending on the application

The ceramic, boron nitride, could be added to the resin to instill greater lubricity as well as temperature stability. It is also used as a mold release for an engineered resin at 8,000 psi and 800 F to make jet engine bearings and washers.

It is not appropriate in this forum to comercially promote a product, therefore if you require more information, please contact me directly on phoward@imscompany.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back