Low Temp. Carbon Steel & Low Temp. Stainless Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiniEIT

Petroleum
Aug 8, 2014
CA
This might be a silly question...

I am aware of normal temp (min temp. = -29 deg C) vs. low temp (min temp. = -45 deg C) CARBON steel pipe and fittings, but is there a similar relationship between different types of stainless steels?

From what I see in table A-1 in B31.3, most stainless steels such as ASTM A182 & A312 can be used as low temp piping (i.e. at -45 deg C). What stainless steel piping and fittings can not be used for low temp. piping applications? (if there are any).

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The issue with "low temperature" materials is adequately capturing the ductile-to-brittle transition. This is a property of all ferritic steels, such as carbon steel. Most stainless steels are austenitic and do not exhibit such a transition to brittle behaviour.

Not a silly question. Good question.

Duplex stainless steels, ferritic stainless steels and martensitic stainless steels undergo a ductile to brittle transition as temperature decreases. All body centered cubic structured metals and alloys will undergo this transition.

Both ASTM spec have numerous grades. The 3XX series are austenitic (face centered cubic). The 4XX series are ferritic or martensitic (body centered cubic/body centered tetragonal). Duplex stainless alloys have a mixed ferritic and austenitic structure (approximately 50/50.

ASME B31T 2015 This Standard provides requirements for evaluating the suitability of materials used in piping systems for piping that may be subject to brittle failure due to low-temperature service conditions

In terms of qualification, no. However if you are qualifying a procedure requiring impact testing to be performed at low temperature, you will need to qualify your WPS with killed carbon steel made with fine grain melting practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back