Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low voltage replacement for 74HC74 circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

besttype

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2013
US
I'm working in a tight space envelope (about the size of a AAA battery) and need a momentary switch to latch on/off a tiny motor. In order to conserve on parts and assembly, I was going to use a 74HC74 ( turn my circuit on and off and keep it that way until I hit the momentary switch again.

However, the 74HC74 has a minimum voltage supply of 2v while I am restricted to using 1.2v AAA batteries. I'm quite a layman groping in the dark here, but how would I go about finding a similar/identical circuit for use on a lower voltage?

I am adapting the design from here: Although, my understanding is that I can remove most of the extra parts and have the 74HC74 do all of the work (as a latching switch).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cool, kind of a perfect article. However, since we're hoping to mass produce and our entire foot print has to fit inside the diameter of a AAA battery, having a single IC do all the work without exterior parts would be ideal. Plus, I'm limited to a single 1.2v AAA battery, is there a class of IC's that work in that range, or would I always have to step the voltage up?

If you don't need a full dual D Flip-Flop like the 74HC74, a number of companies make single type devices in small surface mount packages. Devices like a Texas Insturments SN74AUP1G79DBVR work down to 0.8 volts. There is a wide variety of these available with a variety of positive/negative inputs, etc. Usually called tiny logic or single gate logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back