Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lower-bound knockdown factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillBerg

Jan 31, 2018
RO
Hello, can anyone shed a light on what a lower-bound knockdown factor is (in context of structural design)? (or an "upper-bound factor" for that matter)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a standard term that I've heard.

Closest thing that comes to mind is a push-over analysis.

Can you provide some more context?

----
The name is a long story -- just call me Lo.

Think I've seen that term some place before, certainly not a common usage, though. But the context fits this internet quote: "Shell-buckling knockdown factors (SBKF) have been used in large cylindrical shell structures to account for uncertainty in buckling loads. As the diameter of the cylinder increases, achieving the manufacturing tolerances becomes increasingly more difficult. Knockdown factors account for manufacturing imperfections in the shell geometry by decreasing the allowable buckling load of the cylinder..."

IE, it doesn't relate to knocking anything over or down, more like a safety factor, etc.

Think I've seen that term some place before, certainly not a common usage, though. But the context fits this internet quote: "Shell-buckling knockdown factors (SBKF) have been used in large cylindrical shell structures to account for uncertainty in buckling loads. As the diameter of the cylinder increases, achieving the manufacturing tolerances becomes increasingly more difficult. Knockdown factors account for manufacturing imperfections in the shell geometry by decreasing the allowable buckling load of the cylinder..."

Yes, I've seen it called that in texts on buckling of shells as well. And if that is what he is getting at.....that number can really vary based on geometry, loading, etc. It needs to come from code (like ASME). Initial imperfections can be a killer for shell buckling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back