Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPG Burner-How to minimize consumption? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucino

Electrical
May 30, 2003
AU
Good day.
As part of an improvement team created by my company, I am presently making on a study of minimizing LPG usage to an oven using Shellane (LPG with heating value of 49.95 MJ/Kg) as fuel to preheat a food product conveyed inside a chamber with control temperature setting.

The oven is a Japanese made unit with two burners with specifications as below:
Zone 1=105,000 kCal/Hr
Zone 2=80,000 kCal/hr.
Temperature setting Zone 1=105oC
Temperature setting Zone 2=79oC

My observation revealed that the product temperature before the oven is 70oC however to my amazement the temperature after the oven is 63oC.

How can I compute for the consumption basing on the above data (by the way no dedicated LPG metering is installed on this oven)
Can I relate product temperature to the LPG usage?
Thank you for anybody's help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

do you have a gage on the lpg tank. You should be able to know by the gage the usage of lpg per day, week etc or if no gage is there, ask the supplier to advise how much he adds when he fills it.

Dideyjohn,
Thank you for the inquiry.
I agree that a gage is the ultimate measure of usage.
However as of the moment there is none dedicated for the specific oven except for a central flowmeter which measures LPG usage for the whole factory.
It would be easier if it has.Anyway,my post is about asking everybody for LPG consumption calculation in the absence of a gage.
I hope you can share your expertise on the matter.
Regards

Lucino

lucino , Boy or buy - I can see you have an issue...

Let me try to help you out.....

1. Any chance of installing a meter - if cost is the issue, some meters are pretty cheap.

2. Have you tried the furnace vendor for his assistance?

3. Does your furnace vary in heat input /output - if not, then using gage on the gas train, you could estimate pressure drop etc...

Good day.
Dideyjohn:
I dont know how to respond technically. But seeing that I have an issue here is well appreciated. As of the moment the oven that I am refering to is actually considered to be retired and replaced with a new one. However there are other dryers and toasters in the factory that uses LPG feed burners. My problem really is how to begin with a study in minimizing LPG consumption without affecting burner performance. As the original thread, there is no dedicated consumption flowmeter to each of these ovens and installing one needs time that if installed our tour of duty here is finished.
Any idea?
Regards

Lucino

Cougarfan,
.....are you still looking for answers?...Yes, especially technical ones.However, I was through with the study.My approach is practical. I compare the standard consumption established in the product specifications with the actual consumption. Making the study however was not easy, I admit because of the absence of a dedicated LPG meter at each burner.
......Where do you stand now?..I already suggested to management to invest in a metering device and install one in each burner.

Thanks for the interest on this thread.

Lucino

You need to determine the excess air requirement in order to keep flame stable. Normally for liquid fuel such as fuel oil this would be 4% oxygen in the flue gas, for gaseous fuel or easily vaporised liquid fuels this would be 3% oxygen.
If you are running above these levels you are generally wasting fuel by heating up the flue gases excessively.
If you are running at 3% oxygen & there is little or no carbon monoxide (less than 30ppm is generally acceptable), then to increase efficiency you have to minimise the losses from the oven, this will lead to a reduction in fuel requirements.
What kind of burner do you have, is it staged fuel? Staged air? Raw mix? Staged fuel & air?
Let me know & I can help

I like to share with you some of my experience in saving LPG consumption.
My company is the manufacturers for galavnsing steel wires
and had four galavnising lines.
For years, I had been trying to save LPG without success using the conventinal way.
This year, I managed to look for a local sceintist who is
inventor for fuel saving gadgets for cars to do my projects.
The line I am selecting is a Canada line which had two furnnace on lines. The fuel consumption is very high.
It took me many months to convince the management to proceed with the project and finally get the stage 1 gadgets installed this month. To our amazement, we are already get about 10% saving and with the second stage installation of gadgets in future , the sceintist thinks he can save 25% for us.
The gadgest installed by the scientist is basically to breakdown the cluster of LPG molecules for better combustion.
We can notice, the colour of the flame change from yellowish to greenish and less smoke.

Unfortunately, Malaysia is far from your country. From your name you must be Italian.Or else I can show you the plant and introduce the sceintist concerned.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back