Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a FormTool

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest4k

Industrial
Aug 31, 2005
US
Good after noon, what I would like to do is make a dovetail form tool blank and save it as a part. Then insert it into an assembly and and then import a mfg. part and mate them, so that the the mfg. part is on the face of the dovetail form tool. Then I would like to do an Extrude Cut, thru all and then I could have a close resemblance of the form tool I would like to make. Is this doable? I got the two parts mated where I want them but can not get the Extrude Cut to remove the material from the form tool. Any thought on how to get the cut. Thanks in advance to anyone for helping.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've made something similar...a hole drill that serves the same purpose. I made the tool, and use sheetmetal 1.75" thick to represent the 2 x 4.

Thanks for the responses. Well this is something I used to do in UG, years ago. I was just extruding a simple dovetail tool and place a circle in front of it and tried to extrude it, which did not work out at all. These form tools are used in bar-stock machines like Acme-Gridly's. It would be nice if I could do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back