Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Making prototype zinc castings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ductmate

Chemical
Mar 6, 2003
US
I want to make some prototype parts in the lab using zinc. What I'd like to do is take my existing part, cast it into some kind of media and be able to pour molten zinc into it.

I know this is a VERY rudimentary set-up, but I don't really have the means (or expense) to machine a die to cast the part.

I've tried molding the existing part using Rayite 100 machinable media. Rayite seems like it will take the heat of the molten zinc for at least a few casts. I'm just melting down some old castings in a crucible with a torch and pouring that into the mold. The part is relatively small - about 3/8"x1/8"x1"

The biggest problem is the zinc wants to ball up instead of flow into the surface nicely. Would I do better to melt the zinc in the muffle furnace to a certain temperature as opposed to just getting it "hot enough to melt" with the torch? I try to remove as much of the dross as I can before I pour it.

Also, if I decide to machine a die, what would be the best choice for that? I have aluminum, cold rolled steel, and hot rolled steel. I might be able to come up with some stainless if I scrounge around the shop enough. I've used aluminum for lead molds in the past but I'm not sure if Al would be good for zinc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you just need fit-up parts rather than functional, structural parts, you could use a Cerrobend instead of zinc. Much lower melting temperature, no fuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back