Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Managing CAD files for deformable parts in assemblies? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLeod

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2002
For those readers who use associative part, assembly, draft, etc. CAD files which include deformable parts (i.e. parts which have a free state geometry, and a different assembled geometry): how do you manage those parts with respect to their two states?

We use Solid Edge, which is easy for assemblies of rigid elements. However, for deformable parts, we have to create one free state part file to generate the detail drawing of the part, and a separate deformed part file to create the assembly model and its associated drawing. This causes a loss of associativity within the model system, since a change to the free state part is not automatically reflected in the assembly model or drawing.

The situation becomes even more complicated for assemblies which have separate views for different deformed states of a part. Each additional deformed state means a new part file which has to be manually updated without introducing any discrepancies between the files.

Is there a better way?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McLeod,

SolidWorks uses configurations. Each variation of a part would have a different configuration. This is very similar to Solid Edge's Family Of Parts master part file. In each different configuration, various features (holes, bosses, revolves, threads, sheet metal tabs and flanges, etc.) can be suppressed (or unsuppressed).

The top level assembly can also have a configuration to control configurations in parts or sub-assemblies as well. By doing it this way (for example) piping and plumbing components that have mounting flanges can be changed in not only size and diameter, but the number and size of mount holes in the bolt flange can also be controled by different configurations.
Don Shoebridge
Sr. Product Developement Engineer

What version of Solid Edge are you using?
I have not had much experience with these particular functions, but "Family of parts" has been around for
a number of versions, and I believe "Family of assemblies"
was introduced with version 10, here is a snippet from the
V11 Help:

"Some products require you to define multiple variations of a single assembly. These variations can be categorized into two types:

Assembly variations where ALL parts are identical, but some part positions change during the physical operation of the assembly. These types of assemblies contain mechanisms, linkages, actuators, and so forth. In Solid Edge, these types of assemblies are considered Alternate Position Assemblies.

Assembly variations where MOST parts are identical, but some parts and subassemblies are different between the individual assemblies. These types of assemblies may have different fastener types, trim, accessories, and so forth. In Solid Edge, these types of assemblies constitute a Family of Assemblies."

-Scott

Just Curious-
Why would Don Shoebridge answer a Solid Edge inquiry with a Solid Works reference? Especially since Solid Edge supports "Family..." variances which can hold various configurations of parts?
New User,
Cfee

Or how about we all should be trying to help one another instead of saying mine is better than yours. Rather than taking a deep breath, take a step back. We need to stop treating 3D design packages as a religion and start treating them as a tool. That is all they are, another tool that we use to get our job done.

I am a SolidWorks user that visits most of the cad forums frequently. I am not visiting to convert people; I visit for information and ideas. If I see a question that I think I may be able to help with I throw in my two cents hoping that I can help.

Again, whether we drive a Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, etc. we are trying to do the same thing.....Get from point A to B.

BBJT CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back