mass tolerance on drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozcar

Aerospace
Mar 17, 2023
NL
Hi everybody,

we are still starting up, so we have some freedom in choosing all our set-ups. For the set-up of the drawing titleblock I was requested to include the mass of the part / assembly decribed in the drawing. The idea is that it can serve as a quick qualitycheck, but without a tolerance it will probably cause a lot of headaches.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to select a sensible mass tolerance? Are there any standards for this? Is this even a thing that is done commonly or ever? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is common to put the mass in the title block, especially for molded parts including castings.
It is not common to put a tolerance on the mass, even though it is possible to calculate it will probably cause headaches (like you said).
I do not know of any standards on a mass tolerance, but I would like to know if there are any.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

For both Ug and Pro/E formats I have set up over the past 35 years, we have never added a tolerance to the mass on the drawing. We have also only put the mass on sheet 1, in the full titleblock, not the name only titleblock used on subsequent sheets.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks Ben & Jerry! :)

I will try to get my colleagues to elaborate on what they expect the advantages are. To be continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back