Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Degree in Aeronautical Engineering with Bachelor Degree in Electrical > Feasible or Not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monir1137

Electrical
Dec 13, 2012
Hello there
I am an undergraduate Electrical & Electronic engineer. I am planning to have my post graduation & doctoral (if possible) in Aeronautical Engineering.

Now I am seeking your kind suggestions on :

1. whether my undergrad degree will conform/match with the master degree in Aeronautical engineering ?
2. whether I would be over-looked in job market as there will be available aeronautical engineers having both degrees ?
3. whether I should proceed to master degree over my core electrical disciplines(say, Control Theory or Communication Systems)
and then switch to Aircraft Industry ?

I am a very hardworking person with fast adaptability. I can grasp new critical concepts & ideas very fast. I wish to spend my life studying in research level in aircraft industry.

Please help me with your kind experienced thoughts. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the title question, my wife would say "why not?" - those are her two degrees. As an MSAA myself, I will try to answer your questions:

1. Your undergrad courses will be ok (you took physics, chem, statics, dynamics, materials science...?). But you will want some more mechanics of materials, stress analysis, and a lot of fluids and aerodynamics courses to be prepped for aero work. She was able to waive the aerodyanamics, as her focus was on stress analysis, but that just meant she took a lot more undergrad structures/mechanics of materials courses.
2. Having the dual major never hurt her, but her EE background was not much use in structures/FEA.
3. You might take an Aero Master's degree with emphasis on controls - from the modelling and sim side, which would be the aero emphasis. Your EE background would definitely give you a leg up on some of this.

Thank you sir
for your invaluable suggestions.
These will definitely help me for initial planning.

Further I seek your kind suggestion on something more broadened & decisive issue :-

1. I am an inhabitant of a 3rd World country(Bangladesh), have completed Bachelor degree with scholarships from a local Private University(United International University) with a CGPA of 3.68/4 where Grade 4 == 90% or above marks.I passed my school & college from "Cadet College".

2. I am the only son of my family & you may be surprised hearing that son is to take all the responsibilities (financial & others...). My father died when I had 10 years of age.

3. I can pass my life simply with a local usual job. But I have a borne interest on Research level work/studies. I want to gather how,why & what if...type knowledge; wanna see the beauty of modern science & technology and want to contribute anyway, anymuch. I could never be satisfied with usual home-office-home circle.

4. I am afraid I would not get full scholarship for Master program with my results in bachelor level. However I am confident of my base of knowledge gathered in bachelor courses which are continuously driving me to go in depth more by taking Higher Education.

5. My family can afford self finance for Chinese degree,"Shenyang Aerospace University" by selling out land properties that my father left out. It is quite tough to afford costs for European or North American degree without Full/partial Scholarship.

Here I am in a situation of decision making to take risk for a Chinese degree in Aeronautical Engineering >> whether I can take the challenge with respect to the Chinese Degree evaluation & Job availability in near future???

I can assure you that,from my side there would be no lack of hardworking and determination.I have strong basics of Control Systems Theory and Embedded System Design at undergrad level.
And above all, I am quite a tough guy while I am in the right track/direction.

The way you suggested to my previous query, I am hopeful to have the right decision based on your wise guidance.

Thanks for patiently going through the long story despite your valuable time.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer to that. Scholarships are pretty variable, and generally depend on how well the university is doing with respect to research grants, i.e. how much "slave labor" (which is what a grad student on a grant/scholarship really is) they can afford. Job availability is certainly a concern. There has been a lot of contraction in the USA in defense/aero, and more contraction (i.e. fewer jobs) in years to come, if/when our government ever decides to start cutting its spending. Similar contraction is already underway in most of the Western world. China, however, seems to be spending a lot of money in research and development on aero and defense, and will likely continue, but I have no idea how much of the R+D in China involves non-natives (they would seem, from my perspective, to have an unlimited supply of people). Good luck with your studies, whatever course you decide to take.

Hi Monir.....I just went through the questions you had asked.....I bet it's not too late to answer....i'll just drop straight to the point......since u mentioned Shenyang aerospace university.....and I being a student of that university at a time when they didn't even have a faculty for teaching courses in English back in 2005....the university started teaching courses in English around 2007 so they're quite new to it. Talking about R&D and work in china that is something near impossible not to make u feel down in anyway....but that's how it is......the job market for R&D is local specific only.....they don't let any foreigner within a 3 KM radius of any of their facilities.....even after attaining a good graded degree you will have to go look for a job somewhere within your country....when it comes to R&D the bitter truth is that to work in any country u have to be either an extraordinary student such that industries opt for you (Not the case for China) or a national of that country due to security reasons........I would love to answer any questions regarding the university or work in china I've lived there for the past 7 years and don't mind sharing any experiences that can help u in any way possible.....Take Care....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back