Masters degree a faster way to move up in management? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil198

Chemical
Apr 18, 2007
US
Hi guys,

I currently have a bachelors degree in chemical engineering. Where I'm working, I notice that a lot of people have masters degrees and some even Phd's. These are the ones that seem to be in the top positions of the company, like director or managers. Granted, there are some with bachelors degrees as well in those positions.

But I am wondering, is it common with someone with a graduate degree to move up faster in the company in a management position? If you have a Bsc., do you eventually hit a ceiling and can't really move any further ahead for example to a position of VP of Project Development (just throwing it out there for arguments sake). Or is project manager or something along those lines the highest you can really realistically progress in a big organization?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cynical answer: naked amibtion, no scrupples and the ability to manipulate others will get you up the corporate chain way faster than any graduate degree.

We have someone at our firm who was just offered the opportunity to become a principal and he "only" has a BS.
He isn't that old either, probably 40-45.
Virtually everyone at my firm has at least one graduate degree. I am one of the very few that does not (but am in a grad program right now).
I don't think that having a BS only will limit you if you are good, but I definitely think it helps some progress further than they otherwise would (possibly should).

I survived a graduate engineering program, and my personal experience is that unless the organization truly values a technical Master's degree, then you should go for the Business-related stuff. Company managers (in general) are not engineers and rarely appreciate what engineers can bring to a company. However, I am still pleased with my choice because the graduate program taught me to learn subjects on my own and provided a deeper level of analytical thought.

The reports I hear from engineer friends who pursued MBAs was that the curriculum was very simple & easy compared to engineering work, and the rewards were amazing.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I Have Read In Various Places that if you want to advance with a degree, then leave your current place, get the degree, and then go somewhere else; nothing much will change for you in your current job with the degree.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I am actually thinking of obtaining my Masters degree in my specialty: Geotechnical/Structural Engineering.

I think it depends on the type of job. For example, if you are in consulting like me, I think a Masters degree in your technical specialty would help. It'll help because:
1. It increases/solidifies your technical knowledge in your consulting area.
2. Improves your overall credentials to clients.

Whether that will increase pay or give you a promotion I guess is up for debate. Anyone have any thoughts?

I would say you've really got to like what you do for a Masters degree in that specialty to be worthwhile.

My plan would be to probably get the MS Eng early in the career, then if moving into management, starting own company etc., get the MBA later.

In manufacturing/product development etc., I am not sure. What does everyone else think? Once again I think it comes down to what type of job you see yourself doing.

I certainly recommend getting your technical Masters if you are going to stay in consulting. Not so much for advancement although that will come, but I think the added education will inevitably make you a better engineer.

I've found there's a stereotype that online degrees are a joke....at least for structural engineering. If you can find an employer who will look past that, then it may be useful to you.

One option for an online degree is to get it from a reputable university. Usually the degree is just from the university not specified as online or not online.
Also in Oregon there is a list of "schools" that you cannot use a degree from. It is against state law to use a degree from any of the "schools" listed on it. Several states now reference the list in some of their laws. If you are looking at an online degree, checking this list might be a good way to weed out some of the worst online schools.

Im considering
I think it would be fun to teach at some point.

The way I see it, as more and more RFPs are going towards "Quality Based Evaluations", having the extra education does put a bit more points in your box. That's never a bad thing.

-
Syl.

My experience is that the engineering Masters qualification helped me to get a job but after that it made no difference. Those that wanted to get on the management tree went to do MBAs, mostly sponsored by the company.

I think it is your abilities and personality that get you promoted, not what pieces of paper you have. Qualifications are useful but I dont think they are a make or break when it comes to promotion.

I remember a few years ago seeing a simplistic breakdown of office character types. I dont remember the details but two character types likely to get promoted were "The Golden Boy" simply because he can do nothing wrong so his promotion is guaranteed, the other was "The Clown", simply because everyone know who he is, he gets a lot of exposure. The implication was if you sit in the corner doing a first rate job, but quietly with no fanfare, the chances of promotion are less. I realise this is a generalisation but it does seem to fit, at least where I have worked.

I interviewed for an engineering management job last year. I listened to them describe the job for a while, and finally said, "It sounds like what you really want is an MBA, not an engineer." Their response was that an engineer with an MBA would be dandy, but really MBAs are a dime a dozen and most of what is taught is common sense anyway, so they weren't making an MBA part of the job requirement.

I just thought that was interesting.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

So cynical seems to be the way of the world at the moment.....

Personally (I started a Masters Degree that I never finished due to financial conditions and apathy) I think it depends on what you want to be 10 years time. If you want to be an engineer, a Masters doesn't matter a damn sfter your first interview (successful). If you want to be a senior manager, then you had better be able to prove that you are a cut above the rest, and a Masters is then a nice arrow for your bow.

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

Yes, it's true some people will think less of on online degree (and there are plenty of bad online degrees). So the key is to pick a program that is reputable and well known.

UW Platteville is a good school with a (regional) reputation for its engineering program and a long history in mining/geology/geotechnical engineering. If you live in the upper midwest, I would say most people would be aware of the school. If you live in California, however, employers may not of heard of it and may view an online degree from there with some suspicion.

Disclaimer
I live near the UWP and know a few of the faculty there, but I have no affiation with the school.

Prohammy, I've found that a masters in structural will do much better than bachelors. I think it's different for every profession and generalizing it for everyone probably isnt accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back