Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

masters in Kinesiology or something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siahsisiah

Military
Nov 1, 2007
US
I am very interested in the human body and how it works, and what to do (as in athletics) to achieve the bodies fullest potential. I am debating going back to school for a masters in Kinesiology or something of the sort. What are positions out there relating to Kinesiology and or Biomechanics. I am very interested in both subject areas but found myself in a DOD job once out of college. I DO NOT enjoy what I do and neeeed to get back into the field I somewhat went to college for. Can anyone point me in a direction based on those interests I have pointed out, what careers/jobs I could make out of that? (also, not needed, but what is the pay range in the fields suggested).

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan in Biomedical Engineering (w/ concentration in BioMechanics). I just finished up some research in the college of Kinesiology and can say there is a huge difference. If you like being able to work with people, and inform them on human motion then Kinesiology is your thing. If you want to use that information and develop new products etc. engineering is the way to go. Kinesiology as an undergraduate degree is essentially a degree in being a gym teacher. Masters lets you pick what you want to do. I worked in the Motor Control Lab is you have any questions.

Hi

I'm a PhD student in Biomechanics in the UK. Biomechanics covers a very wide area from the mechanical properties of soft tissues in the organs of the body and how they receive and eliminate metabolite through to the dynamics of the skeleto-muscular system.

The subject is very broad so if you want an overview of the mechanical characteristics of the whole body then a masters in Biomechanincs is the way to go.

If you are just interested in the dynamics of the musculo-skeletal system then Kinesiology is teh way to go or maybe even physiotherpy.

Hope this helps Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back