Material Brittle Transition Curve - Cert vs Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Jones

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2023
IE
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if someone could help me through a hypothetical situation....

A piping material is ordered, and on the material cert it states that it has been impact tested at -20 Degrees Celsius.

The client specification requires material to be impacted tested at a minimum temperature of -40 Degrees Celsius.

I know that requesting that the manufacturer tests at the required temperature would solve the issue, but often lead times and deadlines would mean this is just unsuitable.

This is just something that I have been thinking about, I'm not in this situation.

Has anyone experienced this?
Is there an international standard that deals with Transition curves of materials, besides API FFS-1?
With a lack of international standard, is there a sound scientific methodology that the client could be willing to accept?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You tell the mtg to pull out their retained samples and re-test at the specified temperature.
And you don't pay until you get the revised test reports.
That is if you specified the testing in the PO.
If you didn't then the time and cost that it takes is simply your problem, no excuses no exceptions.
We always retained samples so that if something needed re-testing, we could do it quickly.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I suppose I would be referring to piping, built to B31.1 but in Europe so the European Pressure Equipment Directive applies.

Ed Stainless...
Even if the requirements of the construction code and the Directive were met, and it was the clients specification called for the the lower temperature tests, yes the additional tests could be preformed at cost to the client. Thanks for the response.

Have you ever heard of the Fracture toughness prediction curve in ASME BPVC XI? I'm wondering could this or the likes of it be suggested to the client as an option if they wish to defer the additional tests.

Thanks for your feed back guys. As I said this is just something I thought of, it's not a real world scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back