Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material for Metal Spring 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

adag1971

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2012
Dear all,

I have been following many of the forums in here, however wasn't able to find the right answer to my specific question.

I am currently working on repairing a mechanical device whereby I have difficulties in finding the right material for a metal spring (L-Shaped) which needs be strong enough (46-50 hrc) without being too brittle (needs to be able to withstand slight squeezing pressure). The part itself is only 0.3mm thick, which adds to the problem.

I am actually thinking of using an AISI 1045 or 1065 and tempering/heat treating it. I was also informed that Mn65 does not seem to be applicable for heat treatment.

Highly appreciate your ideas & help on this matter!

Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1045 might have too little carbon depending on your requirements. 1050, 1065, 1074, 1095 all are common spring steels. Did you try googling "spring steel"? The thickness should not be a problem.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I agree with dgallup, but would probably start with 1065 and not 1050/1055. We routinely use spring steel in that thickness and hardness range, most of it with the 1074 composition. 1095 is usually more in the 50-56 HRC range.

Thank you for your initial feedbacks.

In fact, I also started with a 1065 however encountered problems with a distortion of my parts during the hardening/heat treatment, quenching and tempering process which eventually got me thinking about the material and thickness I am using.

Based on information received the parts were hardened at 1475 - 1550°F, oil quenched, then tempered at 650°F for 2 hrs, then oil quenched. After reading many forums about this matter I figured that there are many ways to approach this. However, I still don't seem to find the right one for my use which could also be because I might use the wrong time cycles.

Highly appreciate your further ideas & help!

Max

Try austempering, it should lower distortion.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

If your part is perfectly flat (which you imply), I would try tempering with the part(s) clamped between plates or otherwise held flat, perhaps with weights on a flat plate. Austenitize, oil quench, quick temper at 400F unclamped, then final temper at 650F with the parts clamped/weighted.

Both options suggested by dgallup and swall are good. Another would be to purchase pre-tempered spring steel and just cut/press/form the shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back