Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Properties in Inelastic Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yook

Materials
Jun 23, 2017
US
How does one go about developing or locating material properties to use in an inelastic analysis? It seems like a problem most analysts will come across and I have not found much definitive discussion.

For instances where plastic analysis is required such as failure analysis or design of crash test barriers, what is the industry standard for coming up with something along the lines of a ”representative” true stress/strain curve to input into an FEA program?

I imagine the reason I can’t find such information easily is because there is so much variability between lots in the inelastic region of a stress strain curve for a given material that it is difficult to come up with a conservative curve which fits the material in a broad sense. I have seen “typical” stress strain curves in MMPDS, though I am not sure if these are intended to be used in this manner( aka have a statistical conservatism included) or are for reference only.

Structural steels such as A36 are my concern right now. Please direct me towards any approaches to this which others are using or if this problem is really just very complex and not so easily condensed.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I know, the production companies usually perform their own material tests to evaluate the properties of construction materials. They spend a lot of money and effort to perform some of these tests as they may involve long term testing (fatigue/creep properties). That's why they don't share their results and it's hard to find some more specific material constants. Personally I search various research papers and MatWeb database to find the data I need.

I'd use MMPDS stress/strain curves as representative of the material. And support by testing as indicated by the criticality of the part.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back