Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material properties source

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshh

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2003
US
All

I am wondering what is the best source (am willing to pay a subscription fee) for comprehensive material properties data? Ideally if the source is tailored to Ansys users (so that I can directly import the properties database into my Ansys db file), that would be perfect.
Especially for metals, am interested in the entire stress-srain curve because some of the components in my model are expected to be in the elasto-plastic range.

Thanks in advance.
-m

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MIL-HNDBK 5 would be a very good place to start for this information. Also, the vendor of the material is typically a good source as well if you're in any sort of heavily regulated industry (ie. aerospace). Most companies seem to develop their own set of material properties and do their own testing so for specific alloys much of this data may not be easily accessed. As far as getting this info into Ansys, why not just code up an *.mp file for each material and write some sort of subroutine you can call that reads in necessary materials before solving? Maybe I'm old fashioned or don't put much faith in others but I don't think I'd be comfortable using spoon fed material properties. That's just me though.

I agree with you about writing a .mp file for the material data. Will do that.

As for the material properties source - I work for a company who is neither the buyer of the material or the manufacturer of the component. I am designing the component and having a supplier manufacture it for me. I guess I will go to the supplier to get me the property sheet.

Thanks,
-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back