Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMotionGuy

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2010
US
Anyone familiar with a viable material that is CO2 laser friendly (probably available in a range of thicknesses from 0.1mm - 0.7mm)that can stand an operating temp around 150C(300F)? Currently we are using an acrylic substrate but for this application the thermal effects kill it.

note: I am not talking about the thermal effects of cutting it on the laser.. It is when the customer uses the end-product it fails due to warping.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TheMotionGuy,

What is the material supposed to accomplish?

Critter.gif
JHG

It is a substrate that we attach a cleaning material that is used to do in-line cleaning of semiconductor wafers during testing. So it needs to be semi-rigid. If you can imagine a 0.3mm thick piece of acrylic, that's how rigid. Probably a little less than the rigidity of the screen on your touch-screen phone.

Btrue, semiconductor applications tend to be a be sensitive about cleanliness, so wood probably not a great plan.

That said, motion guy, is cleanliness, including out gassing, an issue for your application?

We use a lot of delrin, pomalux and that kind of stuff in our semiconductor metrology equipment but it might be too stiff for this application.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I wouldn't trust delrin at 300F. Also, lasering delrin gives off formaldehyde fumes.

Wood is stable at the temperature indicated, if kiln dried first. Yeah, it would tend to have a lot of extractables if put under vacuum or in the presence of solvents.

I don't think there _is_ a material that will do all of the above.

Materials with a high CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) and low thermal conductivity (i.e., plastics)will warp when subject to temperature changes. That is why fused quartz is used for a lot of semiconductor processing.

Cleanliness is an issue. Outgassing not an issue. We have good ventilation and a sealed CO2 laser cutting environment.

I am currently looking into some Polyimides and PEEKs to see if I can have some small thin sheets made without giving them my checkbook.

They have a pretty high Tg (glass transition temp)too and continuous working temps rated around 245C.

TheMotionGuy,

I can't help you with the suitability of laser cutting, but I have some ideas for the heat. You might be a little close Tg-wise for polycarbonate, but if you can add some glass it might be close enough. My next choices would be Ryton (PPS), Ultem (PEI), and Radel (PPSU).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back