Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material to simulate frozen flesh/meat for cutting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESTinker

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2017
US
Is there something out there that can simulate frozen flesh or meat for cutting that is inorganic, something that doesn't stink or cause bacteria growth? Need to run it thru a deli meat slicer.

I was thinking about using foam sponges and freezing it into an ice block but was thinking there's probably something better out there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ballistics gel will not meet the "inorganic", "won't stink" and "won't feed bacteria" requirements. Gel itself (in the cheap stuff used by ballistics labs), can smell strongly of the animal bones it is derived from. Knox gelatin or Jell-O are de-stinked versions of the same stuff - but these too will start to smell after it warms up and starts feeding bacteria.

I'm thinking just blocks of ice would be sufficient. Meat doesn't add abrasiveness or any properties that would make cutting more difficult.

I have seen versions of gel with anti-bacterial agents added.
No, it won't be safe for long term but for few days at a time it would be fine.
The only stuff that I ever used had no smell to it, until it started growing.
It also had an indicator in it that responded to the pH from bacterial growth.

If you could get the density of a foam correct it might work.
It would take a few comparison calibration runs to validate it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Why not just use meat, cause organic material that get into cracks, holes, etc.. will cause bacteria growth and stinks. Just need to have something to test without having a big cleanup and washdown.

Why not just use meat, cause organic material that get into cracks, holes, etc.. will cause bacteria growth and stinks. Just need to have something to test without having a big cleanup and washdown.

But, isn't that the precise reason for tests that mimic real life? If your design is so bad that it takes you hours to clean the system after a day's use, then your design is not ready prime time nor better than current systems that do have to deal the mess.

Existing supermarket slicers probably can be broken down and cleaned in about 15 minutes.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back