Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material transformed from coil into plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesKerr

Industrial
Nov 7, 2016
CA
Hello,

I am in the process of looking to purchase a coil of SA414-G that would be converted to plate and used in a pressure vessel. After discussing with the mill and the decoiler, they have both proposed the following:

1) The coil manufacturer supplies the analysis of the chemical properties of the coil.

2)The processor will de-coil and check for visual defects and validate the thickness in four locations. While subdividing the material, the processor will remove the required number of tension test samples and send them to the lab of my choosing.

3) I (the purchaser) will need to combine the chemical analysis from the mill, the tension tests from the lab, and a report for thickness and visual verification from the processor, and then certify the plate as SA-414 grade G.
In reading SA-414, SA-6, and ASTM A635, this does not appear to be the correct procedure. It is my understanding that the processor should supply a certified mill test report by combining the results of all tests.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who are familiar with this:

1) Is the manufacturer certifying the material industry standard practice? (The material manufacturer and processor are well-known reputable companies with shops throughout North America, so I’m inclined to rely on their expertise.)

2)I am used to material verifications being the responsibility of a pressure vessel manufacturer, but I find it challenging to say that I, the purchaser, can certify a material to meet the minimum requirements of ASME Section IIA. Are there requirements in the ASME or ASTM standards for who is permitted to approve materials?
I also understand this is not that different from recertifying a material per UG-10 of ASME Section VIII, Division 1. THe diffrence for me is that in UG-10 I am recertifing based on a know material so I can certain of information such as the type of furnce used ect.

Looking forward to your replies
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are buying a coil of SA414G what is the issue?
Those certs work just fine.
If you want additions checks then fine, do them.
But the original CMTR should work.
Normally this is an issue when buying material certified to ASTM and you want to make a Code vessel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The mill certifies the chemical analysis but the tensile test only get done after de-coiling in the beginning center and tail of the coil.

The certs from the mill are written "SA-414 for conversion" because they have not completed the complete required testing.

Thanks

Anyone in the supply chain can create a MTR.
When I used to do it, I always sighted information on the report take from other test reports.
In most cases I actually attached the other MTRs.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back