Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mathcad and AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiocad

Structural
Apr 6, 2001
US
We're looking into upgrading a couple machines, and have had a couple people say that AMD is the way to go, better bang for the buck, as it were. While others say they buy nothing but Intel.

Currently running Mathcad 8, on WinNT4

Anyone have any problems running Mathcad on an AMD system, or should we just stick with a P4 system to be safe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our IT guys share the same prejudice, but I've never had any trouble with AMD machines. I use an Athlon at home (my third), and I used to use a Cyrix. Lately the price difference hasn't been as large as it used to be, though, and my next machine might be an Intel.

from pricewatch.com:
Pentium 4 motherboard combo 2.2GHz starts at $234
Athlon 2200 motherboard combo starts at $194

Keep in mind that an Athlon 2200 is actually a 1.8GHz machine - 2200 is a "Pentium-equivalent speed" (read marketing mumbo-jumbo)

Athlon 2200 is the fastest AMD combo that I see on pricewatch, while there are P4 combos available up to 2.8GHz ($559)

I really wouldnt worry about it. I have owned both Athlons and Pentiums and have never noticed a difference in stability. The best philosphy when it comes to all things computer related is buy the fastest thing for your money , as in 2 months its out of date anyway!

IMHO, with Mathcad especially, make sure you've got plenty of RAM on board and your laughing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys....

I've got an AMD at home that I've had no problems with... I just don't run Mathcad. Boss is thinking of upgrading a few machines, and I was looking for info for him.

Personally, I like AMD a bit better, seems to be a bit less expensive for the same amount of toys. But, that's also at home, with my money.... Boss's money is another matter....

At this point, you're at risk either way. The primary issue is whether the math processor in either processor works as intended under all conditions and whether you'll encounter any hidden problems.

For most math problems encountered in everyday engineering, it's probably machts nichts. The likelihood is low that you'll wind up processing a problem that would cause the math engine to hiccough.

If you are doing complex math or or mathematical theory, then either processor is equally likely to have an obscure bug deep in the math processor.

TTFN

When I bought AutoCad 2000 a couple of years back the local ACAD tech support guys advised agains AMD. They said there were compatability problems. Don't know if that is still a problem.

Dave Adkins

p4's can be a problem.

while they use an advanced instruction set they only implement part of the IEEE floating point standard.

additionally they have removed one of the ALU's (the P6 architecture, used in pentiums,PII,PIII's, and pentium pro's had dual ALU's). Less heat, generation but performance is geared to software that uses the advanced instruction set.

if you are using p4 1700 for example with 80 bit floating point calc.(so called extended precision) the performance is comparable to a pentium 233 mmx! ouch. AMD chips seem to hold there own for some reason.

the PIII-s chip set is fine, and presumably so is the Xeon.

FWIW

I'm running Mathcad v11.0b on three different AMD and v6.0 Pro on another AMD .... Never a hiccup ....
Only way I'd convert to Intel is if they bought AMD or AMD did an el foldo ... which I don't see on the bubble.

jOmega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back