Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MATHCAD Crashes when trying to use SmartSketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmenich

Structural
Apr 29, 2008
CA
I am new to both Mathcad and smartsketch and am trying to create the calculation driven sketches that seem to be possible using smartsketch within mathcad. I have Mathcad V14 which doesn't seem to come with the smartsketch samples indicated in the 12 step guide found in the FAQ section of this site. However, I can simply insert a new smartsketch drawing from the insert > components menu and draw some shapes there. All is well at this point. The problem arises when I try to click on any of the drop-down menus at the top of the screen (tools, format, etc), which I think I need to do to associate the sketch with a variable. As soon as I click on the these menus, the program crashes. PTC says they do not provide support for the SmartSketch component so I am at a loss for where to go from here. Am I following the wrong procedure for creating a smartsketch sketch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Smartsketch only works with v11 or earlier, at best, since it was only offered as part of v2001. You should pay attention to the date of the FAQ, since that was over 5 years ago.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Well actually, both the salespeople for smartsketch and MATHCAD have said that they work together. There is a help section in mathcad V14 which talks about using smartsketch, and the websites for both advertise the ability to work in conjunction with each other. It may be that the evaluation version of Smartsketch that I am using is not capable of use within external applications. Thank you for your help.

Do you have the latest updates for M14 installed, i.e., M011?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Well I'm not entirely sure how to check that, but I went to the "About MATHCAD" section and it says Mathcad 14.0 M011, which I would assume indicates that we do have the M011 update.

There's a newer release, M020, but it's only available for maintenance customers.

I'll have to wait until I get home to check the Smartsketch part of it.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Hi, So it would seem that you were correct in your first statement, I talked to the SmartSketch people yesterday afternoon and they say that the later versions of SmartSketch are not compatible with Mathcad. However, I think that the earlier versions of SmartSketch are still compatible with Mathcad after V11. So I'm going to see if i can find someone with SmartSketch V4 or V5 and give that a go. Thanks for all of your help, I'm pretty annoyed that both companies' salespeople said that they would work together, but I think there may still be a solution.

I would still be a bit surprised. Starting with M12, the ENTIRE program was revamped for the XML format. It's possible that they left the hooks in place. The original Imagineer LE version of Smartsketch will NOT work with M14, since it demands M8.

I'll try my copy of SmartSketch 3.0 and see what happens.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Inputs and outputs seem to work OK, but I've not done exhaustive testing. I simply added one of the example SmartSketch sheets in the Mathcad examples, specifically Triangle.igr to M14 M010, so I'm already two revs back.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Really? Well I'm waiting to hear from SmartSketch on a possible demo of an earlier version. I'm encouraged to hear that it seems to be functioning on any recent version of MATHCAD. I'll let you know how I make out when/if they get me a demo of the earlier smartsketch and I use it in conjunction with the this latest MATHCAD. Thanks again, you've been a huge help!

I am running Mathcad 14.0.0.163 with SmartSketch 5.00.35.14 Service Pack 1. (Both are corporate-supplied software, so I have no control over updates etc.) They work fine together - I can pass parameters to and from an embedded SmartSketch Component fine, and the sketch will redraw itself interactively. I can't say how later updates of Mathcad 14 will work, nor any later versions of SmartSketch.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back