Mathcad Prime - Previously Defined Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiestruc

Structural
Nov 23, 2011
AU
Hi

I need help regarding Mathcad Prime variable definitions.

I've been using Mathcad 15 for a long time creating templates and stuff and I just recently thought of trying Mathcad Prime just for experience. In using Mathcad 15, when you define a variable which has been previously defined either built-in or by the user, the "duplicate" variable will show a sawtooth line underneath it. Thus, warning the user of previously defined variable. When I tried Mathcad Prime, it does not show this kind of "warning" or sawtooth lines. I need this kind of warning since I sometimes get lost of the variables I've defined especially when I'm doing a worksheet with multiple pages.

Seems like a noob qeustion but can anyone help me with this? Maybe I am missing a setting or something.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not aware of any way to get Mathcad Prime to highlight duplicate variables with the sawtooth line or with anything else.

BTW, I have a personal copy of MC 8.0 (!), which does show the sawtooth, and MCP 3.0 and I use MCP 5.0 at work. I also have MC 15.0 at work, but almost never use it. And, when I tried to run MC15 just now it gave me a license error. Yet one more thing to attend to today. Oh, and I agree that it is most annoying that MCP doesn't flag duplicate variables.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

While there is no flag as there was in MC15 and earlier, one other behavior remains the same; when you define a variable using "=" instead of ":=" or ":", if the variable already exists, Mathcad will display the value instead of throwing an "undefined variable" error, but you'd have to delete and type in ":", while MC15 will just switch to a definition instead of the evaluation. Alternately, you can just test those variables you're unsure about by "x=" prior to your current definition

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks fel3 and IRstuff.

That's a good work-around for duplicate variables. Instead of defining a variable using :=, I will just type = to make sure that that variable hasn't been used previously. Thanks IRstuff.

However, this work-around is good if you’re the one who made the template which makes you fully aware of everything you’ve done. Checking the worksheet without this warning would be difficult for the checker. Just my thought.

This may be an option as well which I haven’t done before. Thanks stevenal.

Maybe I’m just looking for a Mathcad 15 feature which I think should be the same with Mathcad Prime since Prime should be an “upgrade” of 15. I’m using Prime 7 btw.

Good thing I have a perpetual license. I don't have a plan to migrate to MP7 yet since it's still lacking several features. Besides, I'm already used to using MC15 and making a subscript in MP7 requires too much effort. LOL. Just thinking if I should purchase/extend my maintenance for future updates of Mathcad Prime...

Prime was a complete and total re-write of Mathcad, which is why it took so long to get a still less than complete functionality of MC15. Mathsoft had attempted a re-write in MC12, and that was a pretty serious debacle.
Mathcad 13 was good. It was 14 where they screwed up the symbolic solver.
I still use Mathcad 13.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems
IFPE Hall of Fame Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back