Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mating order in NX6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dr

Automotive
Jul 10, 2004
US
I'm having trouble with getting the correct part too move while MATING. NX4 ALWAYS seemed to move the part based on selection order.

What kind of "switch" or technique am I missing here in 6?

Mating is one of the more frustrating parts of this learning curve. I hope its all worth it in then end.

Again... TIA!

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're learning in NX-6 why not try using Assembly Constraints. Going forwards I think the plan is that they'll eventually phase out the older mating conditions.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

I checked but it appears that I am using the assembly constraints. I've got a bit of a curve ahead in getting up to spead with them but I'm suffering through.

I've got to beat this business about which part moves though... makes it impossible to use at this point :(

Probably if you have experience using an earlier version you could take copies of a mated part or parts of various complexity and then open then using NX-6. Because you're defaulting to constraints there will be prompt the first time you attempt to enter the assembly constraint dialog (which replaces mating) that will invite you to convert the old mating conditions to assembly constraints. it may be a quick and easy (perhaps less than ideal) way to familiarise yourself with what goes where relative to the older system.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, I've been through some of that migration. Perhaps I should take a closer look at the resulting constraints?

Whats so vexing is that I spent a number of days working with the new constrants with success. Then one morning it all went bad because the wrong parts started to move on me.

Almost as if it's moving them based on a priority other than selection order. Something like part creation date of some assy thing.

Make nay sesne to you?

Dave

Assembly constraints can be a very big pain to work with. Most people here still try to use mating conditions because they are so unreliable. Always watch your position column in your assembly navigator and watch for yellow and red warnings and locks. If they pop up undo the last constraint you just created. There is no parent child relation ship any more with assembly constraints which means that if you constrain one part to another fully constrained part they are both at the same relations. If you then delete one constraint from originally totally fixed part you will now be able to move that part relative to the second part. What probably happened is that you deleted a constraint on a part you did not mean to.

Thanks 2D... I didn't knw that using the original mating tools was still available.

WHERE do I find that set of tools and get 6 to respect them instead of wanting to migrate them???

Sounds as if this contraints change is not an exactly an improvemant for me. I design tools and not product. So I use a mixed bag of mating, reposition and wave links to both "place" and manage changes within the design. There is NO time for fully constrained assemblies.

Dave

Personal view here - maybe the tool isn't as good as it could be (or will be) - but I would really try to get used to using Assembly Constraints, whilst the old functionality isn't going to go away too soon, the benefits of using Mating Conditions will diminish with future release..

For your case I really think that Fix and Bond will help you along a lot quicker.

Use the dependencies panel in the Assembly Navigator (use the magnifying glass) to understand better what components are interacting with others and those that have no constraints applied.

Once you are used to them, you won’t be wishing to have the old functionality back.

If a constraint fails, it’s usually with good reason and isn’t especially difficult to repair/recreate.

For the sake of speed I'm going to put these new ass'y contraints on the back burner. I'm a tooling guy who uses mating in a limited way. But when I need it to work there is no time to screw around with a complicated tool set.

I just want to put a pin in a hole or mate two plates together in the Z axis. Strait forward stuff but it has to work at all times.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

There is an icon on your tool bar that you need to change that either has AC (assembly constraints) or MC (mating condition). If the AC is showing select the down arrow to the right to switch it. Just switching it might even fix it. If you originally had mating conditions and then change the switch all the constraints will disappear but if you go back then they will come back unless of course you allowed the program to convert them from mating conditions to assembly constraints. If the icon is not on your tool bar then you will need to add it and I don't know how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back