Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max. Air Change Rates for Animal Hospital!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supaman79

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2004
US
Guys,

I have some Misc. rooms in an animal hospital that were questioned by my boss if we need the amount of air changes/hr that the GC requested. Currently we have an animal ward room that was requested to have 8.5 ac/hr......x-ray & surgery rms @ 7.1 ac/hr...etc.

Does the International Mech. Code or Energy Code cover max. allowable air changes for specified rooms??

I've looked, but can't seem to find anything.

Can anyone help??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the United States the” Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals," is typically used. Ventilation design 10 to 15 air changes per hour for most facilities.

Also, some criteria is in ASHRAE's Applications Handbook.

Thanks guys,

Your input was a big help..one other question pops up to me now though. Is the recommended Air Change rate based on the total space load, or is it just based on ventilation?

You would have to check the load. If the load calcs require larger ACPH, then provide it. The 15 ACPH is the minimum to control odor. Beyond it there is minimal odor reduction. with larger ACPH. Pharmaceutical companies typicall use 20 ACPH in non clean room manufacturing spaces.

Does anyone (in the USA) know what codes, regulations, or accepted guidelines I need to look at for welding exhaust in a school welding shop? I've tried IMC, nothing specific there. How about OSHA?

A Mfr wants to sell me a portable recirculating unit with a 95% efficient filter instead of the specified exhaust arm tied to an exhaust fan. Does anyone have specifics on whether or not the air can be recirculated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back