Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Max Clamp Loading for I-Beam Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatNorthEast

Structural
Jul 11, 2018
US
Looking for some advice. Looking to put a padeye clamp on an I-beam to make a lift. This clamp would be bolted onto the bottom flange of an I-beam and hold a suspended load. The clamp would only be contacting the flange on both sides of the web. Just want to know max load of what the flange can handle.

I have been trying to simplify and find a formula but am really struggling. Been a while since I’ve had to do a calculation like this and drawing a blank as to the best formula to use.

Looking at 40ksi yield for flange. Flange thickness of 1/4”. Web is 3/16” Clamp area is 7.5 sq.in. Loading capacity of the clamp is 3000lbs. Expecting to have about a 1000lb load.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pls look to the clause (6.7 Resistance of bottom flanges to wheel loads ) of EN 1993-6_ 2007 Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 6 Crane supporting structures.

This is code and law resource , so one can reach this document free of charge . Pls look attached doc.

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e449b9aa-d6a8-425e-8586-c1245cb021aa&file=-EN_1993-6__2007_Eurocode_3_-_Design_of_steel_structures_-_Part_6_Crane_supporting_structures.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back