Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max injection rate through the choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriVaOnLine

Petroleum
Jan 14, 2014
KZ
Hello colleagues!

I have some challenge calculating water injection wells.

Some wells with low Pres are absorbing and the injection rate is thus constrained by the chokes (of course cavitation and erosion is inevitable in this way but we could not decrease injection pressure).

How could I calculate Max rate of WATER through the choke (for example for the 4 mm choke and Pup=200 atm) and under what pressure ratio it will occur?

All methods I have found are for the gas and two-phase choked flow, but for the liquid?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You find the Cv of the valve at whatever your opening position is from the choke manufacturer and use that in the relevant equation for gas or liquid (ask Mr google)

Or ask the choke valve supplier if you give him the inlet and outlet pressures.

If you're getting cavitation and erosion, your answer will not be valid for very long and you then really need a different trim / valve so that it doesn't cavitate or erode

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Thanks LittleInch, but I'm working in Kazakhstan and I'm not sure I could find Cv curve for simple choke bean (3 cm lenth).

Futher, Cv is applicable only for pressure ratio lower than critical: above the critical PR the flow is constant and I wish calculate this value in Pipesim when I simulate my injection system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back