Maximum Allowable Stress for SB-677 N08904? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungM

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2020
TW
Hi, experts,

I am currently working on a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger (STHE) design with the tube material specified as SB-677 UNS N08904. Table UNF-23.3 lists SB-677 UNS N08904, but I can't find the allowable stress values for it in Table 1B of Section II, Part D, Subpart 1. Does anyone know where to locate the allowable stress for SB-677 UNS N08904?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Refer to Section II-B, SB-677, Paragraph 1.2, this product is now covered by Specification A312.
So, you may use the allowable stress per Section II-D, SA–312 for this grade.
SB_677_np4drd.png

I think that this grade should be removed from UNF-23 and put in UHA-23.

Hi, IdanPV,

Thank you for your suggestions. However, I think using SA-312 pipe material for tubing is inappropriate due to the wall thickness. A possible solution is to use the SA-249 N08904 welded tube specification, but based on our previous project experiences, seamless tube would be the top priority. Another option is A-269, but UHA doesn’t adopt A-269. Is there any Code case that allows for the use of A-269? Or is there a clear path to design an STHE with SB-677 N08904 tubing when using ASME BPVC 2023 Edition?

Furthermore, in the 2021 Edition, the Code does provide the allowable stress for SB-677 N08904, but this was deleted in the 2023 Edition...

HungM

Hi!
another way could be with SA213. This year N08904 is integrated in the SA213 (seamless tube).
Page 260 of the section II code, part D.

I hope it could be helpful.

Leo.

Hi,

A-269 not appears on UHA-23 and therefore, you are not allowed to use it.
What is the problem with SA-312? it is avilable at all NPS (DN) sizes and schedule numbers.

@leon_hr_dt, according to Section II-B, SB-677, Paragraph 1.2, this product is now covered by Specification A312, not 213.

There is no limit on the pipe specs for the size, it doesn't need to be a pipe size at all.
We made tube to pipe specs all of the time.
You might be better off using A249 and requiring a bit of additional QA (corrosion testing).
This tube will generally be at least as good as seamless.
I don't know of any practical test that a seamless tube will pass that a welded tube will fail.

This was moved because it is a Stainless Steel and not a Ni alloy.
At one time alloys that were less than 50% Fe were not considered steels.
Then people realized that they still had more Fe than anything else and started moving them.
This also happened to the 6%Mo alloys and some Incoloy grades.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

IdanPV, EdStainless,

So, based on your opinions, I can place a special order to have SA-312 pipe made to the tube size (in my case, 3/4” OD x BWG #10 – 3.048 mm)? I don’t have experience with this, but it seems like a viable solution. To summarize, using SA-312 as tubing is one possible solution, and another option is to use SA-249. Both materials are allowed in the licensor’s specifications, so I will clarify with the licensor.

leon_hr_dt,
In Sandvik 2RK65™ datasheet, SA-213 is included. So I will also propose the alternative to the licensor.

Better solutions are always welcome.

HungM

The issue is that A249 requires more testing than A312.
A312 basically requires nothing but a hydro which is worthless.
At least A249 would require ET and some destructive testing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Working with the code means be precise and read the code. Which edition is applicable?

Edition 2021
SB-677 UNS N08904 is mentioned in table Table UNF-23.3 as well in ASME IID, table 1b, line 37 and UG-4(a) will be met.

Edition 2023
SB-677 UNS N08904 is mentioned in table Table UNF-23.3 but not mentioned in ASME IID, table 1b and UG-4(a) will not be met.
Summary of change in ASME IID: Table 1B (2) Lines 36 and 37 deleted.
This is an inconsistency that has occurred several times in the past. However, as I have already mentioned, the UG-4(a) is not formally satisfied.

But you can use UG-15
"When there is no material specification listed in Subsection C covering a particular wrought product of a
grade, but there is an approved specification listed in Subsection C covering some other wrought product of that
grade, the product for which there is no specification may be used provided:
(a) .......The stress values for that specification given in the tables referenced in UG-23 shall be used.

Regards - Juergen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back