Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum fillet weld on 8x8x3/16 HSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Peterson

Structural
May 10, 2021
US
I have been asked to look at a fix at a retail location involving corroded bottoms of tube columns. The tube is 8x8x3/16. The Contractor has welded a 3/8" plate all around it then at the top of the plates a 3/8" fillet weld to connect the plates to the TS. My concern with the 3/8" fillet weld is that it is too large for a 3/16" wall thickness. Too large meaning the weld went all the way through the TS wall and possibly created more problems than it solved.

The fix had already been implemented and I only had been asked as the Municipality wanted the approval of a structural engineer.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the orientation of the members in this connection. The maximum fillet thickness being equal to the maximum wall thickness is a commonly misunderstood provision that may not apply.

The plates run vertically on the outside of the TS from base upwards 30" or so. It is where the tops of these 4 plates are welded to the tube column that I am wondering about.

Sounds like a lap joint, limited by the 3/8" thick plate. AISC limits the leg size to 1/16" less than the thickness of the lapped plate, i.e. 5/16".

For reference, the fillet weld to develop the HSS wall is (ASD): 0.5*0.6*Fu_HSS*HSS_thickness/(0.928)

I'm not sure what the Fu of existing HSS was, but 3/8" fillets are wayyyyy overkill.

CIDECT has test info that a weld size approximately 10% to 15% greater than the wall thickness is almost equivalent to a CJP weld... I don't know how that plays out compared to the Dr's equation.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back