Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum Protection area and Sprinkler Spacing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AN1010

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2016
PH
I have question about Nfpa 13 2013 edition.. is it necessary that the spacing between sprinkler heads overlap the area of its protection? please enlighten me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes sir, thanks travis, but for ordinary hazard, example I space the sprinkler to 4.6m.. but the area of coverage is 12.1m2.. so there will be gaps that is not protected with sprinkler.. see my attachment.. i just want to clarify what it means..

2333332342423423_gh08tg.jpg

Forget the circles. They mean nothing. You are limited to your area. If 12.1 m2 is the max, then that is the max.
4.6m x 4.6m is NOT 12.1m2. So your upper plan is wrong if you are trying to stay to 12.1m2.

You likely need to review Chapter 8 of NFPA 13 to get a better handle of the spacing requirements.

I hope that enlightens you a bit. Feel free to ask more, but there is only so much that can be taught over an internet forum.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Thank you for the response travis, why does nfpa table Table 8.6.2.2.1(b) specified that the maximum area of protection is 12.1m2 but the maximum spacing 4.6m.. how does this to value connected?

What is area? L x W. So, take your length x width to get area. The sprinklers are a maximum of 4.6m and a minimum of 1.8m. So, you can have any combination of LxW within those parameters as long as your area does not exceed 12.1m2. What area of the world are you located? I have a colleague that does training seminars in various parts of the world. It may be something you should look into.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Thanks travis for the explanation. now i understand about the spacing. Im from Philippines, does your colleague conduct seminars herE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back