Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MBA in a small MEP firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxpower71

Electrical
Mar 29, 2006
GB
I have been working in a small MEP firm, about 10 employees, for 2 years now. I am interested in getting my MBA. I have a BSEE and want to be knowledgeable in business. I am having second thoughts about asking my firm if they would pay for the tuition or even mentioning about my MBA quest. Reason being since they are a small firm would someone like me with only 4 yrs exp and a MBA be worth it. Will they think this is a two year notice of resignation?

I want to hear some advice and opinions on how I can "sell" the idea of by obtaining an MBA, my firm will be more profitable, how would it help them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to stay where you are. Do it for yourself, and pay for it for yourself. If, instead, you want to increase your knowledge of "busines," you can probablly take classes at your local community college that would actually benefit your companys business and they'd probablly pay for it (and see you as trying to advance in the company instead of leave it behind).

I don't mean to imply that an having an MBA would be without value for a small company, but unless it's one that focuses in "entrepenuership" then you'll probablly learn things more readily applicable to a "big" company than a small one.

Wes C.
------------------------------
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

First of all, do you want your MBA because it would be a valuable tool in your actual (or future if you can see that far) job, or is it for your personal gratification?

I'm telling you this because I'm currently on a similar situation, I'm thinking about a master degree but the area I like the most is automation and computers, however in my line of work, a master degree in maintenance engineering or industrial management would be more adequate.

I'm sure that if you will use your MBA in your everyday's work, the boss will try to help you through it. After all, is company will gain something (He might try to make a contract with you to ensure that you will work there for a few years after the MBA). But if he doesn't sees any value for the company in it, your hopes are as good as dead! :(

I made my MBA extra work and paid for it myself. I didn't even bother to ask my company since I knew that they would not pay for it (my boss had told me that before in an informal talk about other cases). They do pay masters but in another company of the same group and then you have to make an agreement that you stay for at least 3 years. I didn't want to have that obligation since I also think that is in the first years after you take your masters that you have the biggest potential for growth.
Even so, they have been profiting for my decision since now they can have a MBA for the price of an engineer and didn't cost them a penny.
Will this situation maintain for long???
Maybe not.

If you don't ask you certainly don't get. So if you don't ask them it is completely guaranteed that they won't pay for it.

However, if you do want to stay with them long term and feel that the MBA will help in your job (I think its pretty handy for people with no formal management training) then what have you got to lose by sitting down and discussing it with someone.

You could suggest splitting the cost between you and the company which would ease the burden on you and prove you're really serious about it. Or you could suggest a long term contract with the payment so the company considers it a 'loan' to pay for the MBA, if you leave within 12 months of completing it, you pay all the money back, if you leave within 2 years then you'd pay 60 % back, and if in 3 years pay 29% back, thereafter it being written off. That way you can prove you're serious about doing it and staying with the company.

Definetly do your research as well, what modules would you study, how would they help your work, how could you contribute more with the training, then go discuss it.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice!

I agree with heieup, if I don't ask I know I will not get anything. But before I do sit down and talk to them, I want to know if the MBA would help a MEP firm, especially a small one. I don't want to go into the meeting and tell them I am getting a MBA, tell them to find a way how it would help them and to pay for it. I definitely feel obtaining whatever education will help to some extent, more than others.

As wes616 mentioned, if I want to do this for my self or just to increase the knowledge of business, its both reason. I want to increase my knowledge of business for myself, but if it could somehow also help my firm that would be great, but I just don't really know how.

Cardoso, I am pursuing it for myself. But also I know it is useful in whatever type of field you are in. It is just a matter of finding exactly how my MBA would help them. I am pretty sure it will if they give me a chance, but since the managers there are the president and vp so unless they are looking for a growth and have someone step in between them and us I dont think it will be of great importance to them.

Once again thanks alot for the help!

I doubt that a small MEP firm, or any size MEP firm, would value an MBA. The thing that would be most valued would be the PE license.

I work for a mid-size closely held corporation. For me, the MBA is necessary if I want to climb the rungs and not be an engineer for the rest of my life (meaning the paycheck is much nicer...plus I like the sales & accounting aspects).

As to what your MBA can contribute, just look at the average courseload. For example, my focus is on international business. While the HR style classes we take won't be as applicable to a small company, the heavy emphasis on marketing, accounting, and finance will help you out, and are beneficial if your company wishes to grow in both sales and staff.

My company helps pay for my MBA. They're defraying about 50%, and that is based on performance (they don't pay for C's). The rest I have to take out of pocket. My contract indicates that I have to spend a minimum of one year beyond the date I receive the last reimbursement check. Whether your company sees this as a bad thing or not depends on the culture. My company encourages all of its employees to seek further education (field-related of course). They seem to be of the opinion that enhancing one's technical and analytical background will carry over into the employee's quality of work.

FYI, prepare for sticker shock on tuition. My program requires about 3 years of nightcourses, and will have me out about $20K at the end, assuming I keep up the GPA. If I don't, that amount jumps pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back