Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCC Compartment Temperature Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutttt

Electrical
Nov 10, 2003
GB
Can someone tell me how to go about working out the potntial temperature rise in a MCC compartment.

Any help would be appreiated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk with the MCC manufacturer. There are way too many variables to make a meaningful calculation.

UL may have some standards as well. They don't use 90 deg C wire in there for nothing.

What are your needs? Do a key word search using "MCC heat" for a list of threads (in this forum and others) -- possibly there are some ideas there (you might try some other key words to see if other threads show up..)

There are also a number of resources for estimating the heat gain for electrical equipment: I use a book, "HVAC Equations, Data, and Rules of Thumb" by Arthur A. Bell, Jr. for estimating A/C needs for MCC rooms --

rittal have a section of their catalogue devoted to this...I think they have a bit of software available too, on the electronic version of the catalogue if my memory serves

Suggestion: It is necessary to know watt dissipation of various items located in the MCC compartments, e.g. contactor and relays coils wattages, thermal overloads heat dissipation, control transformer wattage, contact resistances, etc.

The electrical enclosure mfrs. have these formulas and discussions in their catalogs (Hoffman & Hammond, amongst others). You will need to know the wattage dissipated inside the JB, and its surface area. The formula will be able to give a temperature rise above ambient (TRAA). Looking at the Hoffman, they supply a linear relation depicted in a chart, that can be summarized as:

TRAA(degs F) = 4.375 degs. F / sq.ft. (1)

So if you have a 48" X 36" X 16" enclosure that has 300 watts being dissipated within it, this would mean that:

2[(48x36)+(48x16)+36x16)] / 144 = 42 sq.ft. (2)

300 watts/42 sq.ft. =~ 7.1 watts/sq.ft. (3)

from (1) we get: 7.1 X 4.375 =~ 31 degs. F. rise

Hope this helps.

bklauba@airmatic.com

Suggestion to the previous posting: Please, would you clarify dimensions in:
""from (1) we get: 7.1 X 4.375 =~ 31 degs. F. rise""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back