Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McLaren MP4-12C with Kinetic/Tenneco/Ohlins CES dampers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autogyro46

Electrical
Sep 23, 2009
US
I've recently seen some photos of the unclothed MP4-12C chassis sporting what seems to be a version of the Tenneco/Kinetic "CES interconnected passive reactive system".
They (McLaren) are making a big deal about the absence of ARBs and continuously controlled damping. Sounds like something right out of the Tenneco borchure.
Particularly revealing is a shot of the top of the damper with the paired hydraulic and electrical connections. (attached)
Anyone have anything on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well it does what it says on the box. I think it is spelled Kinetik but might well be wrong. At least one FSAE-A team has used it.

Not entirely sure it is legal under the current rules for F1, any electronics in the dampers seem likely to fall foul of

"10.1.2 The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels."

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

If I have this right, the FSAE shock is a collaboration between Ohlins and Cane Creek- maker of high-end bicycle shocks.
As small shocks go, it's fairly deluxe: twin tubes, external nitrogen reservoir, separate high and low speed adjustments for both bounce and rebound (four in all), but it's completely passive. No electrons exerting their influence on wheel or suspension dynamics.

I was FSAE-A chassis design judge on the UWA car one year. I've also seen a demo of one of the Kinetic LandRovers, but can't remember which gen system it used, I think it was just active roll control. Like I say it does what it says on the box, once you've seen one properly sorted active suspension system then you are just down to engineering tradeoffs with any other active suspension.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I believe that all of the Kinetic systems were not "just active roll control" but an enhanced chassis setup that improved ride/handling characteristics.

Interesting that Citroen used it on the WRC. The formidable Andre LeFebvre must have smiled, looking down from that Great Drawing Board in the Sky.

Smiled indeed, given that the inventor of the Kinetic technology, Chris Heyring, was inspired to create the technology by his appreciation of, and affection for, Citroen cars....

Hi, newbie here so please be gentle............lol.
The suspension setup looks interesting, would it in roll reduce weight transfer from the inner wheel compared to a conventional anti roll bar?
Also if a computer controls the system why on a car this upmarket does it use a Z bar to control downforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back