Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

measure distance is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchoj

Industrial
Dec 20, 2013
US
I made a cube 25.4 x 25.4 x 25.4, measured distance from end to end and get 25.398..... Is there anything in preferences I should check?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With values like that I assume that you're working in Metric, correct? Also, what version of NX are you using?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

That is strange. How did you create the cube? Did you enter the values 25.4, or did you dynamically drag an extrusion? Was the start point of the extrusion (if thats how you created it) at zero?

I've not heard of something like that before.

Jay Miklovic
Sr. Design Engineer
Edco Inc.

I'm doing this for a workmate. He doesn't have an account here. I create a cube the same way and it measures exactly 25.40000000000000.
We're using nx 9.0.2.5 and used block to create the cube. x=25.4 y=25.4 z=25.4 at absolute zero. I'm still thinking its in the preferences.
Maybe some kind of tolerance for modeling?

So you're saying that this is only showing up on one machine, not all of them? Are they all running the same versions of NX? If you're creating this model using the 'Block' feature, then Modeling Tolerance should have no impact whatsoever. You mention that you created YOUR model at absolute zero. Is your workmate doing the same thing, that is creating this BLOCK at absolute zero? And again, are you working in metric units? If this is a problem with one machine versus another, have you created a model on one system, saved it and then did the measurement on different machines? Were the results the same or different?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Press the "reset button" ( top right on the dialog border) on your colleagues computer before you do that measurement.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back