Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measure runout on shaft while rotating? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnuk

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2004
CA
I am looking for a method of measuring runout on a shaft while it is rotating. The shaft will be approx 2" diameter, rotating 500RPM, and there may be a film of grease on OD of shaft. There is a small 1/4" dia hole providing access to the shaft from a housing that covers it. For a "static" measurement we are simply putting a dial indicator on the shaft and rotating the shaft by hand to get a reading. The problem is that I think the readings get worse under operating conditions but I have no way of measuring it. I am trying to resolve whether the shaft is running out, for example, .005" or .010", not down to 1 tenth.

Any ideas? The only link I can find is at

but it looks expensive and not really shop suitable.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah. That helps, and adds some new things to try:

- review your installation procedure for lip seals
- e.g. are they lubricated at assembly?

- radial lip seals with more radial compliance

- radial lip seals with double lips

- auxiliary v-ring face seals alongside the lip seals

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What are you sealing? What is the shaft and housing temp near the seal? Is there pressure building up in the cavity? Pressurized lip seals try their best to grip the shaft often at their own peril
In my experience specialty lip seal manufacturers do not understand and thus vastly understate or underestimate the heat generation of their products.

We use a dial indicator also with no problems . We let the compressor run then recheck it as it is now hot and adjust accordingly. Then run some more and recheck. A vibration analysist afterward can help to make sure you have no out of round vibrations if your that worried about it.

I hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back