Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measurement of Interpass Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeTank

Structural
Oct 28, 1999
US
How does one measure interpass temperature? Where are the measurements made and how are they made?

Joe Tank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually when dealing with interpass you are trying to limit your maximum interpass temperature, so you would want to measure on the hottest part of the heat affected zone which would be the weld itself. Depending on the configuration of the weld you could use temperature indicator crayons (temp sticks) or a digital thermometer, or in certain cases a thermocouple.

JoeTank;
How does one measure interpass temperature?

TempStik or contact pyrometer

Where are the measurements made and how are they made?

The interpass temperature is measured in the weld region (weld metal and surrounding base metal HAZ) after each completed pass.

Some welding standards specify where to measure preheat temperature and where to measure interpass temperature.

I can tell you where not to measure it. Not in the weld crater as soon as you terminate the weld and not in the weld groove if you are using a temperature indicating crayon.

My standard practice, unless otherwise specified by the welding standard, is to measure the temperature one inch from the edge of the weld groove where the next weld pass will start and just before initiating the arc.

I do not use the infrared thermometers on any material other than carbon steel. Many metals such as aluminum, stainless steel, nickel alloys, etc. do not have the same emissivity as carbon steel resulting in erroneous temperature readings. In my experience I've seen errors of 150 degrees F when I double checked the temperatures with a thermocouple.

Best regards - Al

AWS D1.1 (5.6) and D1.5 (4.2.7) require minimum preheat and interpass temperature to be measured at least 3 inches from the point of welding. I can't find anything about where the maximum temperature is to be measured.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back