Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measurements from a picture given a reference distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rideway

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2009
DE
Hello

I am trying to do a design of an racing car chassis and I have some pictures of other chassis that I would like to take as example.

I would like to know if there is any way to import this picture in Catia, give a reference distance (for example a known diameter of a tire) and then being able to measurement other distances like the total length of the car.

Obviously the cars are completely parallel to the camera, but nevertheless I do not need a very accurate measurement, just a rough aproximation.

Thank you very much in advance

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using just basic Catia functionality, you can insert the picture as onto your drawing. It's literally just Insert > Picture.

Probably it's best if you insert into a view. From there you can sketch some geometry over top of the drawing in the drafting workbench. You can stretch or shrink the photo to make it fit a known dimension. For example, draw a line and dimension it to a known value, then stretch the photo until it reaches the size you need. Last, copy the geometry from the drafting workbench into a sketch in part design workbench. In sketcher proper you'll get better control and tools for your sketch.

I've done this before using a screen capture from a map, to make a campus layout model. Pretty cool. There may be other ways, but this is the way I know.

Cheers,
Mark

Hello
Thank you both for your very fast answers

Inserting it into a Drawing is a good method but I think I found exactly what I needed. It is done with the DMU 2D viewer and the tool "2D measure". There you can calibrate your picture by giving a known distance and afterwards measure it.

itsmyjob: I already tried the sketch tracer before posting, but I dont know why in my computer it doesnt work. I tried it with a computer at my job with the same catia version and same picture and it works perfectly, but at home I just cant... When I select the picture, choose a parallel view instead of conical view, and then I select the Top view, I am not able to see the picture. It is shown like if I saw the picture from an angle. At my job is very straight forward, so the problem its not in the method.

Anyway, DMU 2D Viewer gives me what I needed :)

Thanks once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back