Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measuring [NaOH] in a working vacuum evaporator. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okie2

Chemical
Feb 2, 2009
US
How can the concentration of NaOH, in water solution, be measured while the solution is in a vacuum evaporator? The goal is to take the concentration to say 28% to cause the precipitation of a crystalline material.

My list of potentials include pH, Conductivity, Density and Viscosity.

I also suspect it might be beneficial to remove a stream of the solution and filter the precipitate on a "continual" basis, as there will be approximately 10% solids when the endpoint is reached. If the stream is removed, the concentration measurement might be simplified.

I would appreciate any comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest and most robust would be density measurement. There are many commercial instruments. One method is to use differential pressure measurement between two points at different elevations. The sense lines are purged with a tiny flow of pure water.

Thank you for your help. I didn't realize the density measurement could be made without removing a sample from the evaporator but it makes sense since the pressure of the system has no effect on it's mass.

I agree with your comment of simple and robust. Those features are very important.

I like the simplicity of DP. Calibrate it with plain water. Nice.

K-Patents sells a process refractometer for density measurement in adqueous solution (optical refractive Index).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back