Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mech Eng and EEE which one has more calculations?? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

maturestudent14

Electrical
Apr 3, 2014
GB
I'm get bored easily with writing. I would prefer course with a lot of calculations.Between Mechanical Engineering and Electrical&Electronic Engineering(undergraduate) which has more calculations.

I know courses such as much Maths and Physics could suite me better but I'm looking other factors, like job prospects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My hell was a graduate course in Statistical Thermodynamics.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. —Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

We might be confusing high level math courses with "calculations." When it starts to have more letters than numbers (my cutoff is diff eq) then I have a hard time considering it a calculation.

I suggest you consider looking into structural engineering as a possibility. It wont be to hard to find a job doing demand/capacity (ASCE 7/AISC 360) calcs all day long.

Aerodynamics, not the nice simple 'fluid flow' stuff etc. but the 3rd/4th year class where you get to develop all the algorithms etc. to simulate full Navier Stokes Eqn that various CFD approaches use.

That one gave me brain ache for sure, but at least I learnt why we had to learn about Grad, Div & Curl in 2nd year math.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat, did you ever read the book titled "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" by H. M. Schey? Here's a link to it:

It's a terrific book for teaching yourself vector calculus. The author realized that he needed to write this book after his own physics students would loudly boo him each time he wrote vector calc on the classroom board. It's not a dull book either - the author actually makes the subject entertaining. Try doing [italic]that[/italic] with just about any other advanced math course.

Maui

If you like to do math, instead of focusing on which discipline of engineering has more math you should look into the types of jobs and fields where engineers are more likely to do the kind of work you are interested in and what type of education you will need to get there. As far as the education part, an MS at a minimum is needed to open the doors to the most math intensive jobs. I hate to bust your bubble, but the real world of engineering bears little resmeblance to school where you sit around and solve problems and get to do some really cool stuff all day. No sir. In the real world of engineering much of the day of a typical engineer involves hours of grinding boredom doing tasks that could probably be done by an intelligent high school graduate. In my experience, most engineers don't do work that is highly complex and technical in nature. Take project engineering for example. The math you do (if any) as a project engineer will mostly revolve around project budgets. Even in a lot of design engineering roles you won't find much math. There is a good chance that your design work will consist primarily of designing variations of an already existing product. A lot of times a company will have well established guidelines or rules for design that are based on years of experience of designing successful and not so successful products. In other cases the design methodology is more build and test than analyze and build.

In my work I would say that I get to do a lot more of the cool "engineering" type stuff than most. I got an MS degree and drove my career in a way to get what I want. My skills and education typically get me the cream of the crop jobs at my company. With all that being said, I still do a lot of grass cutting- spending hours reading specifications, going to meetings, dealing with manufacturing issues, dealing with vendor issues, dealing with customer issues, and did I mention writing reports? All that analysis and calculation work I do needs to be documented somewhere. In any given year I might write two or three reports that approach 200 pages in length. Still, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have used graduate level type math in my career. Most of the math I do is on the complexity level of high school algebra or trigenometry. Most of the equations I use come right out of undergraduate textbooks. Most of the heavy lifting is done by FEA, CFD, Excel, Mathcad, and MATLAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back